Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Headlight Bar (pictures)

BigOrange

I always wanted to have headlights on my Big Ten but when I saw what headlight bars are selling for on E-bay I nearly @#%! myself! I know that you can't beat an original but $71.00 for a two foot peice of steel,c'mon. For a restoration the original bar is the only way to go, don't get me wrong and to the right person I'm sure it's worth it. But I just wanted to brag on this headlight bar I cut it out (Two whole cuts) and a freind welded it together. It was a three foot peice of steel you can buy for under ten bucks and with the welds ground smooth (He's a pretty awesome welder) it looks like a pretty good copy of the original bar for less than ten dollars!

Nice idea, now thats thinking. It looks great too, and the price is right. I really like the light assemblies that you have there also. Can you tell us where you got them at? Be sure to send us a picture of the tractor with those lights mounted up on them. Ryan

Bought the lights on E-bay for $19.00 dollars. I glassbeaded the chrome and then primed and painted them. I figure thirty bucks to put lights on a tractor is pretty good.

Now be advised that I have never even SEEN a lightbar other then online so I don't know squat about them but I can fabricate a little. All I did was make the center section 16 inches wide and cut the ends with a thirty degree angle and flipping the peices I just cut off iver and welding them, that way you only have to make 2 cuts. The total length of the bar about 24 inches. It puts the lights just on the outside of the hood and on a test fit they look pretty nice.

I also made my own headlight bar for my AC B-12 last year. The rear light is the original AC rear work light.;) Karl [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/karl_brandt/Image081.jpg[/img]

quote:
there is one on ebay
Geez Maynard I was hoping no one would notice this one since I am bidding on it [:0] and if any one's curious I put a healthy bid on it and I'm hoping that it doesn't go that high!:p

Is your light bar flat??I have a original one on my 64 Landlord but on the ends it has a slight twist to (I belive) aim the lights towards the ground a little more...Although if you have the lights that will pivot on the little mounting bracket then this wouldn't be a big deal anyway... I have also thought about making up one for my other 64 Landlord...

Rob-B fabricated the light bar I have. He has also fabricated other parts such as the side panels for the older B's. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/B-10.jpg[/img]

I had never seen an original until I seen the one on Mowerman's 64, I agree that if you just want lights on your tractor, That $70 is a lot to spend and I think the one you had made will work just fine ..

My philosophy: If you don't have it and need it, but can't find it, or can't afford it, then make it. Unless your tractor is a completely originally restored, classic show tractor, then homemade is fine.

Nice job on the light bar. I was able to pick one up this summer at a swap meet for $25. Don't come across deals like that very often so I thought I should buy it. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/BruceF/IMAG1043.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
My philosophy: If you don't have it and need it, but can't find it, or can't afford it, then make it. Unless your tractor is a completely originally restored, classic show tractor, then homemade is fine.
Yup!:D:D:D That's why I built my own backhoe.;)

I made mine from galvinized flat bar. I just cut it and drilled the holes and bolted it up, no bends just straight across. Elon

Where do these bars attach, the hood, or the grille? I am thinking about making something similar to fit my 61 Wards.

Rod, the original flat bar style bolts to the flat bar across the back of the grill. when you pull the hood the lights stay.

Thanks Dan, Haven't forgot about your parts. Just have not had a convenient time to pack them up. Figured you had your hands full with your recent purchase. I plan to send you the slide with idlers, the actuation lever and rod, and the hinged plate that covers the front frame hole when the mower is not in place. If you decide to work on that setup, but you haven't received the parts, let me know and I will make time to get them to you. I am slated to help my son move this weekend. Seems like all of my spare time is controlled by someone other than me.

MPH, yes my 63 wards is the exact same as a 725. I guess that I could answer for Rod because I have seen his, although Rod has modified his front risers to fit a larger engine. John H

Thats what I thought John. Seems like you need to find headlight that replace the bolt in the hinge, like I was lucky someone put on mine. Which appear to be the OEM one used on the B-1. Guess a guy could come up with a bracket to bolt onto the round pipe that hold the hood and grill like the one pictured in the other headlite post thats going MPH

:I My mistake, I missed the 61 Wards part. Everything else pictured was either B or Landlord style grills so I just assumed....