Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what have you tilled up or found in the garden ?

schaefer72

hi - reading the other tiller post it made me think of some of the things i have tilled up in my garden area that had never been tilled before - such as wood , logs , garbage , huge rocks , misc. metal items , and pretty much anything that could be in an old overgrown field that hasn't been used for along time - the worst was when i heard a funny noise from my powermax tiller and stopped to find a 6 foot green metal t-post ( the kind used for fences ) rapped around the tiller shaft several times - it took alot of effort to cut that thing out of the tines - what have others tilled up they didn't expect ?

I tilled up an old Folgers coffee can once. Barbed wire. Some rope. Old soda cans. It is truly amazing what you find only 10 inches under ground.

I don't think this counts as tilling but 20 years ago my mother dug up a car axle out of the hill in the yard, She warned me not to dig in one area of the yard, she knows theres alot of garbage buried there. Over the years in various areas I have found a spring, cap gun, Pabst beer cans, old fencing, jars/bottles, an old tire, metal stakes, an iron pipe, bicycle (found behind a retaing wall we were tearing down, and heres one that still shocks people when I told them what I found, an old refrigerator buried under our front steps, still filled with food!

When i was a kid my mom found a glass botttle that had had embalming fluid in it... i dont think htat i wouldve opened Nicks buried 'frige!! Im sure it wasnt pleasnat!! 73 jay

I tilled up a snake with a front tine tiller. Out of instinct I reached down to pull what looked like a piece of black ABS pipe clear of the tines, and it ran up my arm. I think there was soil other than on the ground when that happened! Turned out to be a king snake, bedded in the old row. Dang I hates snakes, even good ones!

I dug up a horse shoe about 12" under ground, in an area that has not been farmed for at least 50 years. Oh the stories it could tell. John H

I have tilled up main bearing caps from some kind of motor and a gas shock..spark plugs..nothing real weird though like a frig...LOL My father-in-law works with a guy that does excavating and they found a old model A motor and lots of parts for a model A...

I've tilled so many rocks out of my New England garden that I no longer have a garden -- it's a wading pond with rock walls... :D

well i have never tilled but using my metal detector i have found, money, rings, pins, bullets { both live and used} one time the detector said there was a silver dollar about 8" down....i dug like a hunting dog on caffenine couldnt wait to get that silver dollar it would be my first one.....while digging i heard my knife { digging tool} hit metal my heart started to pound and then i pulled out a full can of sardines,,,,ugh ugh what a grown man will do with time on his hands lol lol lol

Good one Boney....aaaaaawwwwww. being an old farm this place was full of stuff...you name it. When we redid the pasture we found a complete iron buggy frame with springs and all. spoked wheels, spark plugs, cans, silverware, leather shoes, toys,many implement parts, jars, Iron horse tack, folks never went to a dump way back, they made thier own...uhg!!!!!! Only thing ive found in my garden was bones. I think someone buried a dog there...wasnt me. And, im afraid to think what stray cats are leaving:D

I like the metal detector idea. I was chatting with a fellow last night at the lodge and he was telling me about using a metal detector in the desert, finding guns, tack, cans, all of which is in pretty good shape since they are in the desert.

I tilled up a bunch of big @$$ horse shoes one year at my previous home. I presume they were probably for mules, since I lived on the Erie Canal. Btw, Billy, if you ever want to see a 6'1" 215 pound guy dance around and screach like a girl, show me a snake!

All I've got so far are those darn rocks, Hopefully I won't find any refrigerators. I might want to borrow my neighbors metal detector before I till up any more new gardens.

quote:
Originally posted by ROBBYDOB
I tilled up a bunch of big @$$ horse shoes one year at my previous home. I presume they were probably for mules, since I lived on the Erie Canal. Btw, Billy, if you ever want to see a 6'1" 215 pound guy dance around and screach like a girl, show me a snake!
:D:D:D Rob, that's pretty much what this 5'6", 160lb scaredy-cat did...LOL Those horse shoes are probably Draft horse (Belgian, Clydesdale, etc), used to pull the large carts of rocks.