Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Square Bolt in a Round Hole pic added

MPH

I'm positive someone else has found one of these. My most recent one is on my snowblower shoot. The left wing nut bolt was rusted up enough all its ever done is spin and only one tight just didn't stand up to snow force. Must have reset the shoot a million times in the past 2 years. Areo Kroil, vise grips and pliers got it off. My only thought is weld a new bolt in or JB it. Any other better solutions??? Thanks Bright side is I decided to some rust control while I was at it. It's all pitted pretty bad but guess I'll just paint over it. did an hours worth of wire brushing in the 4 in grinder.. MPH

Hi, You might want to pick up a couple of stainless steel bolts. Also some grease, wax or anti-sieze on the threads might help to head off the rust. Just a couple of thoughts. Al Eden

Hi, I also might mention that sometimes we weld a tab on the head of a carriage bolt and then we drill a hole through the base metal and tab and use a Pop Rivet or a bolt and nut to anchor it. We do this often with the inside roller shaft on the 4/5000 36 inch deck. This shaft has a D hole and a flat on the end and the D rounds out and the shaft and roller come out. We weld about a 1 1/2 inch tab on the shaft flat and run a bolt through the tab and baffle. Al Eden

Thanks Al.. I plan on using anti-sieze on it. Stainless bolts are a 205 mile drive each way..Standard carriege bolts have a longer square shank then the OEM ones which I figured would interfer with the shute movement, so I went out to the other blower to get a bolt, and discovered washers like are used to lock the turning rope, with a spring under them. Well ain't that fancy, so I JB'ed a bolt in the hole at lunch and gave it a shot of Epozy white tonight. Much to white, AC must have used an off white, but whiter then Almond. MPH

:DMarty, Come on, what's with this JB weld stuff????? Grrrr, when it lets go in the middle of a storm, I'm not promisin not to say, I told ya so!! hehehe;)