Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Interesting Engine Story

Dutch

You have increased the value (to him) of the machine by the difference between what he would have sold it for and its value on the market now. Even if you split the difference, he is ahead. You spent two hours plus some materials - at shop rates, I would guess you might expect $150. You might reduce it for the fun you've had. Since he is a gambler, and if you are, maybe you could work out a price based on whether it continues to work - take a $400+- warranty payment which is yours if it is still running well after an agreed time period. I'm still unhappy about that dealer, who had two chances to fix this, knew the symptems and did minor tune up work but apparently didn't even take off the six or so bolts to remove the shroud - about 5 minutes. Maybe we could establish a Hall of Shame for dealers. Would have to be careful to avoid suing and liability, but if supportable facts were reported without adding remarks as to honesty etc., the reader could make their own conclusions.

Anyone want to venture their thoughts on why Briggs & Kohler went from opposed twins to vee twins? I may be off base here but my impression is that opposed twins are smoother than vee twins. Just curious,

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Anyone want to venture their thoughts on why Briggs & Kohler went from opposed twins to vee twins? I may be off base here but my impression is that opposed twins are smoother than vee twins. Just curious,
Well how about emissions? The small HP people are under the same pressure as the big guys to cut down on what is considered harmful coming out the exhaust pipe. I think OHV design was a start. AS for smoothness of operation, it might be a toss of the dice. If you wanted a RLM to run as smooth as your automobile, I'll bet it could be done, at the automobile price level. Mine nickels worth.