Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

i'm feeling sorry for myself

simplicity707

Within the last few days, they said we might be getting 3-4 inches of the white stuff, we'll i'm feeling sorry for myself 'cause I can't find a snow plow. With snow on the way, i'm glad to see all of you excited about your first year of snow removal, but I guess that's what I get for looking at a plow or snowblower right now. I tried in the summer, no luck. Absolutely no luck now. I gess I will have to use the old shovel. I'm thinking of taking one of my 32" decks and mow the snow, or mount it on the front as a make shift snow plow. As you can tell, I'M DESPERATE!! Any suggestions? Also, am I the only one here that don't have a snow blade? I tried to get the one from my uncle, but he don't want to talk about, and he said why talk about it, 'cause I won't get it anyway. Oh we'll, I seem to have all the luck lol.

I've got a plow for my B207, that I don't plan to use this year. If it fits your tractor, you're welcome to use it. Paul

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
I feel for you kid, but $10 plows are hard to come by......
Wow! Is that all it's worth? When Dave asked, I told him I'd probably sell it for $60 if he could come and get it. Sorry Dave, really, guess it's worth more to me than most others. The original offer still stands if the price is too steep.

No, Paul.... I had(still have) a 42" plow with a Broadmoor hitch that I offered for sale. He offered $10-15 for it. Like I said, you just don't find them for ten bucks........

This winter i'll either be cleaning the driveway with the 917 and 42" blower, or the skidsteer with the bucket. Our driveway is too big to clean with a shovel, I should have some fun this winter:D

sounds like someone might have got spoiled with all those freebies.:) sometimes you gotta cough up the cash, not everything is a steal.

I didn't have a blade until this year. I was lucky enough to get my AC blade in a package deal on a B110. I also have a blade for my Sears 10XL but the tractors steering is out. Thats too bad because it has headligts and a tailight for nightime snow removal. The B110 has no lights. Dave, keep looking for a blade, eventually something will turn up, but these guys are right, probably not for free. I've seen lots of them on ebay with tractors. One was in northern Illinois, probably went for under $100 and would have been a reasonable drive. I've had lots of cheap things and freebies but I know certain things I want I'll might have to sell a tractor in order to buy it. Did you think of just asking your uncle to let you borrow it, or rent it out to you cheap, is his blade like the one you need? These things don't all interchange. Have you considered fixing up an old walk behind snowblower?

Chris, That Sears 10XL sounds like a suburban? If you start actively looking for steering parts I have 2 parts tractors with the steering still in them. Dan

$10 plow blades would be kinda rare. I have a cheap lightweight off-brand plow blade I would sell you for $10 plus shipping. It would be blade only and you will have to fabricate some way to hook it to the tractor. I think its off an old snapper rear engine rider so its really light but it would give you something to play with. Dan

A ten dollar blade sounds like the one a friend made last year. A small piece of plywood and a couple of 2x4s. Attached it to his Sears and cleaned his driveway. I have three blades, none are Simplicity. I use a Wheel Horse blade that I adapted to my tractor. It was free if I would haul it away. In fact all three blades were free. Sorry, I have planned uses for all three and am not wanting to sell. Besides, I wouldn't even pack one up for shipping for $10-$15. Not trying to be derrogatory, just a fact.

David, Feeling sorry for yourself doesn't do much good, take it from someone that knows, If you want a snowblade I'm sure there is one out there for a fair price. Cheap or free deals don't come along everyday so I guess we have to be thankful for them when they do come along...:)

I have developed a policy for myself which is getting pretty hard to keep at times. --I am not going to invest any more money into my tractor collection-- That means if I want to buy something, I have to sell something. I have been busy on Ebay, cleaning out what I don't want anymore. I haven't started selling or parting out tractors yet but who knows. David, you might want to look into that so you can buy some of the things that you might want to get for the tractors. It is slow but it does help clean the house.

What tractor are you running something they did not make a blade for? I have a couple of blades but you will have to dig deeper in your pockets.

Dave, hate to bring this up but you'll probably need wheel weights and tire chains too. With those wide tires, I would imagine a broadmoor doesn't have good traction in snow. And weights and chains are not cheap.

We'll now I feel awful with my $15.00 offer to daddycat. I probably won't ask anybody to sell anything anymore or do anything anymore. I just might consider dropping my tractors off somewhere. Yes, I understand that I have to pay for these things. I do have the chains and some weights. I gess that I will just have to use the old shovel which is fine with me. I'm just a kid and I try a lot on several different things. My friend offered me a plow for $5.00 with EVERYTHING. I was too slow and he sold it. I'm still going to look around, but I had a bad day and I read some of these posts and my day got even worse. I just might let my tractors sit and find a new hobbie or something. It's kind of hard to shovel a very long driveway and it curves. My uncle had a '64 Broadmoor and yes it would work. And to top it off, I get made fun of at school 'cause of I collect Simplicities. Everyone says Simplicities are junk and I need a John Deere, Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet or any other one. I'm proud of them even though some you have to push around to move them, but I would not trust anybody else with them. I'm sorry, but know I just humilliated at myself.

Dave, As the a father of a 14yr old (Sam,and 9&7 yr olds Seth & Sarah)I can tell you that I would be more than happy if there were interest shown my pastime of garden tractors. As in anything, patience & persistence are your best tools to achieve your goal.So don't lose heart and don't let what others say get you down.Sometimes, as you will learn, you have to work your butt off to get what you want.A resourceful young man may start with a snow shovel and end up with ?

i think everybody here is just trying to offer advice. i am sure your'e not the only one who gets teased, they call me tractor boy at work, i laugh though, becuase it's fun, keeps me out of trouble, and i even make a little cash. no body can blame ya for trying to get stuff as cheap as you can, sometimes ii just is't possible, and one more thing it took me a while to find a hydro lift, now i got three :)

Dave hang in things are comming to me slowly too and I am much older than you. If you work hard and have some luck too. The good things will come as they have started to for me. Some have come or are comming because of friends made right here on this site. If you work to get it it means that much more. If you let people see you doing it or have relatives that can pass the word for you word of mouth helps.

We also started with 1 tractor and traded for the other, Had a heck of a time finding another, now we have 4 and 1 parts

Dave: I would ask Daddycat what would be a fair price--then, I'd send him the money! Kirk has demonstrated his generosity and fairness, by word and deed, on this site, more than once, so I'm sure the price will be fair. Not to make you feel worse, but I too wouldn't pack one up for shipping, for $10.00 or $15.00, as someone said but, like you, I also try to get stuff at low prices whenever possible. You tried, you missed, as these things usually go. Big deal. If a "steal of a deal" was normal, then it wouldn't be so special when you do score a great deal, right? (Paul: I thought $60.00 for a blade and hitch would be fair--I'd pay it, if I hadn't got a Landlord, cart, 36" blower, rear leaf blower and dozer blade and hitch for $300.00) Dave, in the meantime, if you buy a good, metal-edged, plastic bodied, ergonomic (bent handle) snow shovel for $12.00, and go shovel a few driveways as was suggested, (perhaps too subtly, by Mack?;)), say at $15.00 per driveway, you'll be looking at your new (used)snowblade before you know it. For the future, if you can run an ad in a local (free?) town paper, next spring, to haul tractors away for free, as others have done here, you may have more tractors than your mother will let you keep--see posts on this topic elsewhere here. Maybe your uncle would agree to pick up a few tractors with the truck I'm sure he's not lending you anytime soon, either. Hang in there, Kid--you'll learn more about Life with those tractors and these folks here than you ever will letting your "friends" taunts bother you. They're just jealous that they don't have the skills to participate in our hobby. Since they can't do it themselves, they feel threatened by it, and don't want you to either. If they are doing it, but with John Deeres, then they're just threatened, in a different way. So what? Not your problem. Btw--this doesn't get any better as you get older, either--my college friends thought my antique pickup truck thing was laughable, even though the truck is beautiful (if I do say so myself), my coworkers thought working on my own vehicles and NOT having a car payment merited placing me on a CIA watch list (okay, that's a tiny exaggeration, but you get the idea), and my current neighbors seem very threatened by the 20 x 30 organic garden in our large front yard. If heads are shaking, you're probably doing something right. True Story--upstate, in a local (free) pennysaver swapsheet, someone was advertising to give away a snowblower. Presumably a walk behind. You could do a lot of driveways with a free blower, but it proves that there is free equipment for the taking, if you apply yourself. If you get yourself a little snow removal/lawn service business and buy yourself a nice pickup truck with your Simplicity earnings, it won't seem nearly so funny to your "friends" then.... Especially when you pull up to the drive-through window of your local burger joint and are waited on by one of those "friends" in one of those funny looking uniforms with the goofy caps. If you're mean like me, you could wink at your girl, and ask this "friend" if they make him/her buy those threads or do they just give them to them...*gosh* to keep? Every crisis is a dangerous opportunity--this snowstorm could be showering you with foldin' money. Get shovelin' and Good luck! Peter

David, Just so all these good folks out there know, the plow and hitch is yours for $50 and delivery arrangements at you option as outlined in my PM... Keep up the good work kid, as is often said success is 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration..... I am sure you will be well on your way to owning a landscaping company before you clear high school(maybe with your "friends" on the payroll) if you set your mind to it.... I hope I can play some small part in your future success....