Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
wrisleyk

5211 Mower Deck Falls Down

wrisleyk
Even though the snow is coming I have a problem that is still driving me nuts. I have a 5211 lawn tractor with the 42" deck. There is a short lever on the right side that is used to lift the deck up off the ground when not in use. I can't keep the lever and deck from falling back down after I drive a short distance. It seems the small amount of vibration and shaking that is caused by driving on the grass is enough to make it fall. I have tried adjusting it to the book and still not luck. Has anyone had this problem and if so have you found a fix? I may need to rig something that will hold the lever in place.

Salthart
The only thing I can think of right off that would cause this would be if the deck is hitting something when you lift it and had been adjusted so that it only lifts till barely past center. Lay on the ground beside the tractor and work the lever. Note when you lift the deck how far past top center the lift link goes. It should be far enough that the deck starts to lower somewhat. Also make sure that the deck wheels are clearing the ground when lifted. If you run your cutting hight at or near the max, it could maybe see the wheels hitting and "bouncing" the lift loose. Let me know what you find... BTW, You may also want to get hold of both the outside lift lever and the lift arm thats under the machine and twist back and forth ( against each other ) to see if there is much wear.

Al
Keith, That is not that uncommon. If you have the late link with the clevis, be sure it is installed correctly. If so, the earlier tractors had the lever made out of 3/8 material. It is rather commmon for these levers to twist just on the outside of the frame. This keeps the inside arm from going over center. If this is the case order a new lever from an RTH unit and the new knob to fit it. It is longer, and thicker. Works easier and also lasts forever. Good luck, Al Eden