Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help

JoeJ

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find it. I have a "tired" 16 hp. 1 cyl Kohler on a Ford tractor. It has 30 weight oil in it and sits outside. Right now it won't start, even with charger help. Oil is like molasses. Can I and would it help to run 10/40 in winter???? That I have without going out. Thanks for any and all help.

Joe in the manual on my Kohler KT17 seriesII it calls for 10w30 below 32F. That may work for your single also. I use a heat lamp or space heater to pre-warm the engine before starting, which helps a lot. Larry

:DThanks Larry, 10/30 as soon as I go out!!! Dan, ;)Can't swap my baby!!! Was my first tractor, and a swap job to boot!! ;)But things ever get better here, you will sell me another one!! Huh, you do accept cash yet, right?:D

Shame on you Joe, 30 wt oil in the winter. You might be lucky it didn't start, you could still be watching the rod fly through the air. I run 10-30 syn in all my briggs, have since the 'good ole days' of pulling my generator out the front door to start the pick-up. Blew a rod outta an 8 horse briggs after it ran out there for an hour, grantit, it was 65 below zero, but the oil all stuck to the cold sides of the block and she ran dry. I'd say reg 10-30 be ok down to about zero. MPH