Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

help tractor question

87gmc4x4

I went out today to look at some older tractors. I found a homelite with a handle bar setup for steering, it comes up off the front axle through the hood and is bent in a loop back to the seat. How old would this machine be? How old would Canadiana lawn mowers be?

I don't know about homelites but if it has a briggs engine on it and you can read the three sets of numbers stamped on the tin shroud the last set of numbers gives the date the engine was made. The first 2 numbers are the last 2 digits of the year it was built and the next three numbers are the day of that year. example, if it is 66121 it was built on the 121 st day of 1966.

Mike, that only works on engines newer then '63 or 64 as far as I know. Briggs didn't have that #ing system before then. MPH

You're right, Marty. It works on the 243431 10-HP engines, for example, but not the Model 23 9-hp engines, for example. However there is a table where you can look them up on the EDGETA site (it's in the Simple trACtors links page).

Mike, You're right about the first two numbers in the code, but I believe the next two numbers stand for the month and the two after that for the day.(in the newer numbering system, as Marty and Kent pointed out)

I've linked this page many times. You can use the serial number off the older Model 19, 19 D and 23 engines used in the 700/725/Landlord(9hp) tractors and the Allis equivalents, the B-1 and early B-10 to date engine production to month and year. http://www.edgeta.org/mdate3.htm

That is how I found out my Wards was a 61. I had a small engine shop look it up. Unfortunately I do not have that engine now, so I can't double check the numbers.

Im figuring this homelite has to be older then a 1960, because i have only seen 1960's and up but they have a steering wheel. Any idea on the canadiana mowers? Would it be worth restoring them all

It is worth restoring if you want to have a one of a kind. I have never seen a machine like you are describing. The fun is in the doing and the pride of ownership. If it can go for a song, sing and bring the tractor home.

i was talking to a buddy ive at yahoo groups, he said his dad bought a new homelite in 1967 with the same steering as this one. He said its only about a 5hp motor. I still havent found out anything on Canadiana mowers.

well i got the call today on all 3 lawn mowers. 2 Canadiana mowers and the homelite. IM going to pick them up tommarow. So i will take pictures. and post on my website. Now its just a case of being able to find parts and information on Canadiana lawn tractors.

Well I went and picked up the one Canadiana today. All i can fit in my trailer is one. But i dont think the guy know about the Homelite in the driveshed. So instead of 2 canadiana and a homelite. I have 3 Canadiana's. I didnt think it would be best to ask about the homelite because i didnt want to push my luck to much. i got the canadiana's for free. Im hoping he will find it withen a little bit. the Canadiana i picked up today is a 1973 according to the motor