Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dadsy98

Poof!

Dadsy98
Over the past few years I've read about seating the tire beads on rims. I haven't had much trouble, sometimes using a strap or rope. Today I swapped front tires on the Cavalier, put some snow tires on. The rims are not user friendly with a manual tire changer. I finally got the snow tire on a rim and couldn't seat the bead. Straps, rope, even sailors words wouldn't do the job. I was hesitant to try the starter fluid or ether trick. Didn't feel comfortable, didn't know how much to use or what to expect. There comes a time in a man's life when he has to do what needs to be done. I went in the house and located my can of starter fluid. Back outside I put on my safety goggles and grabbed a 5 or 6 foot piece of half inch conduit. Shoved part of a paper towel in one end and set it aside. Now, for that moment of truth. I approached the tire and rim with my can of starter fluid. I pushed down on the sidewall and sprayed about a one second burst. I stepped back and picked up the piece of conduit. I lit the paper towel on the end and gingerly poked it at the tire... nothing happened. Relit the paper and again nothing happened. Feeling a little braver now I sprayed a quick burst into several points around the rim. Grabbing my conduit I renewed the paper and relit it. I poked the fiery tip at the tire right at the point where the rim and tire meet. POOF! Bead was seated! Okay that was the first tire. On the second tire my fifteen year old son was there to help/watch. It was the same on the second attempt to seat the bead. After several quick bursts all around the inside of the rim, when I touched her off she went POOF! Bead was seated. My son says "sweet! Cool!" I guess you're never too old to learn and never too old to try something new. ( no, I will NOT try skydiving! ) So, how was your day? :) Steve

Good_Ole_JR
I have used the ether method of getting tires seated on rims several times. I have seen 11.00 x 24.5 tractor trailer tire/rim combinations lift off approximately two feet off of the ground as the ether ignited. The main thing to be concerned about is keeping your distance while setting off the ether and making sure there is nothing flammable in the area near where you are seating the tire.

ehertzfeld
quote:
Originally posted by Good_Ole_JR
I have used the ether method of getting tires seated on rims several times. I have seen 11.00 x 24.5 tractor trailer tire/rim combinations lift off approximately two feet off of the ground as the ether ignited. The main thing to be concerned about is keeping your distance while setting off the ether and making sure there is nothing flammable in the area near where you are seating the tire.
I work on those trailers. I do change alot of tires. Fortunetly I have a bead seater. It is an amazing tool. You stand the tire up, lean it agains somthing, fill the bead seater with about 80lbs. Then you put air to the rim and stick the bead seater in the rim. You need to get a good grip on the bead seater, and them pull the lever. The seater will shoot out of the rim and force your arm back. If your not ready its kinda scarry. But your tire is beaded! Im not sure who they would work on smaller tires but they work graet on the big ones. I change mostly 295/75R22.5 Most popular size these days. Elon

thedaddycat
If you use too much starter fluid, it will burn inside the tire even after the bead seats. Then as the fire uses up the oxygen inside the tire, it will pull a vacuum and suck the tire off the bead(rememer the old "suck an egg into a bottle trick?).... Use only a short shot of starter fluid. Don't ask how I know these things, just believe and have faith that I'm not steering you wrong here... lol

HubbardRA
The starting fluid has to have ether in it. I tried to use some starting fluid that a friend gave me and all it did was start burning on the tire. I read the ingredients and there was no ether in it. Got to have ether to work! When all else fails I use it. I wanted one of those bead seater tanks but the cost is prohibitive when you would use it only every couple of years.

Dadsy98
Yes, I was fortunate. I didn't have a clue as to how to go about it. All I knew was that ether is EXPLOSIVE. I did it gradually, one quick burst, then tried two bursts. Finally I distributed the ether around the rim with about five bursts. Also, as was mentioned stand clear when you try to ignite it. The bead seats so fast you only see the end result. Old tires might be more of a hazard due to cracks in the sidewall and general fatigue. I was working with 185/75 14" tires. Smaller tires will take alot less ether. Just had a thought... should of taken pictures! Steve

Dadsy98
Ya know, Kenny, I never even thought about a possible fire situation! I have my tire changer mounted outside on 3 6"x10" oak timbers. good solid base. I don't use it alot and hate to use precious shed space for it.