Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ag+chains/Turf+chains?

Nubian

I remember awhile ago,there was a thread about chains on turf tires were better than chains on Ag tires. I recently saw Kent with chains on his Ag tires. Which is best? btw my diveway is blacktop,will chains damage it ?

My ag tires have worked well with just weights added.Last years first snow had ice under it so I had to put chains on to get traction.I did scar up the blacktop a little so I try to run them without the chains.

;)Eddy, I like chains on my turf tires because they lay flat across the tire. I don't know if it helps or not, just my reasoning. I forget if your plowing or blowing, but your driveway is real flat. I bet you could get away with ag tires, mabey loaded, and no chains. They will mark up your blacktop pretty good if you spin them.

I use turfs with chains. I loaded them with washer fluid and it works great. BTW my driv is all chrushed stone. I dont worrie about hurting it. Plus ant damage over the winter, and the more I get to play with my grader blades over the spring! HE HE HE. Elon

I put those chains on because I live on a hill and most of the driveways and sidewalks I clear are on slopes... That's a picture from last year, BTW. This year, I'm running chains on turf tires on the HB-216 with a 42" snowblower. I'm running ags without chains on the Big Ten with a 46" HD dozer blade on it. But, I have LOTS of weight. The tires are loaded, I have Bolens wheel weights on it 40-45 lbs, each, plus I have the Johnny Box counterweight on it, filled with about 150 lbs of cast iron... I don't like chains with a snow blade on pavement. You inevitably spin when you push into a pile, and scuff your driveway... Personal preferences, as much as anything....

I use ag tires without chains. Don't think chains would improve on the traction of the ags. Mine have been cut on an angle for tractor pulling and if it spins they will go through the snow and dig a hole in the ground.

If the chains you put on an ag tire are too small the will just fall in between the lugs and turn the ag tire into a smooth tire. I personally think chains are better on turfs. You will scratch the blacktop if you spin the chains so you may want to try washer fluid and weights first.

I have WW fluid in the rears on two tractors, and Marine/RV antifreeze (I found it on sale) in the rears on another. The small ags I have on the front of the Big Ten are also loaded with WW fluid.... At 99 cents a gallon (on sale at Wally World) that's a very cheap price for between 7 and 8 lbs of weight... On running chains on ags -- don't even bother with 4-link chains, since most of the cross-links will end up between the lugs. With 2-link chains, even though some will get down between the lugs, most will remain on top, since there's twice as many cross-links as the 4-link chains...