Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wasmeneh

Gas in Oil

wasmeneh
Well I found out why my 4211H was having oil come out the dipstick hole, gas was getting into the crankcase. Anybody know what the cause of this could be,,,,stuck float?? I need to get to the gas tank and I think I to take the steering wheel off to get the cover off (hoses need to be changed and I may add a gas shut off switch) Took the bolt off wheel but it's still on pretty tight, put some PB Blaster and I am now letting it sit. Help!!! Thanks is advance Mike

wasmeneh
Looking at my manual, it's hard to tell. The briggs parts list shows one. The funny thing is that it was running great. I guess if the fuel pump is worn it would allow the gas to gravity feed thru the carb into the engine??? Is this right? I gues my first thing to do is that I need to pull the steering wheel so I can check the tank hoses and fuel pump out. Mike

MPH
Fuel pump I was concerned with is the mech ones. If the diphram goes to leaking, thus filling your crankcase you may blow the engine. Even if the float were stuck open, thus not shutting off fuel flow, the gas should just run out the bottom of the carb. Oh wait, you have one of those tipped over sideway motors?? Hmmm, have no experience with those, pistons are suppose to go up and down. Seems some of those don't have floats in the carb, heh i dunno know.......... MPH

Al
Hi, The most common cause of gas in the oil is dirt under the inlet needle of the carb. Many times just removing the carb and blowing the dirt out of the seat and reassembling the carb will fix the problem. CAUTION WHEN YOU BLOW OUT THE SEAT BLOW FROM THE CARB BOWL SIDE, WHERE THE NEEDLE IS,. IF YOU BLOW FROM THE FUEL LINE SIDE YOU WILL BLOW OUT THE LITTLE RUBBER SEAT UNDER THE NEEDLE [if it has one] AND WILL HAVE TO GET A NEW ONE. These float needles come with 2 needles in a box. One is a steel needle that uses the little rubbber seat and the needle with the viton rubber tip that works on the metal seat in the carb. If you have the rubber seat, you can remove the old one with a crochete hook, or just take an air hose on the inlet line and blow it out. The new one goes in with the groove int the seat against the bottom of the hole. Just seat it with a 1/8 or 3/16 pin punch. These kits are about 3+ dollars and ot would probably be smart to just replace it for safety'sake. Then it it is bad you would not have to tear it apart again to fix it. Good luck, Al Eden

wasmeneh
Thanks to all and Al, I'll have to get a good look at it in good light. There was a lot of gunk in the bowl but I think this happened when the tank emptied, even through the filter. Need to get the tank off and start working on replacing the fuel lines. I've got a couple of Briggs manuals on order they may(I hope) help. Al, do you know off hand if there is a fuel pump hidden near the tank, or is it gravity feed... Mike

mowerman1193
The best way I have taken a steering wheel off is to get a hammer and a punch or a bold to hit the steering post... Set on the seat of the tractor so that you can get your knees under the steering wheel...push up with your knees and rap the steering shaft...might take a few hits but be ready when it come off...or you might fall back.... Every time I have used a puller of some kind I have broke the steering wheel...I have yet to have one not come off this way...and by the way before you put it back on I would use anti seize for the next time you have to take it off...... Good luck..

wasmeneh
Thanks for all the help. I will put a gas shut off switch on it when I change the hoses, clean the tank and carb. I really think some goup from the bottom of the tank caused the problem. Luckly mowing is about done for the year even way down south in NC. Thanks Mike

wasmeneh
Greg, I'm on the coast, Wilmington. The land of the long leaf pine...needles. Almost bought a Simplicity from a guy that had it on the Trader, bought a Cub instead. Then I bought the 4211H. Mike

fuzy
If it continues to leak fuel you may need to pull the brass seat and replace it. Whenever we see that problem in the shop we don't take any chances. Too costley to pick up the tractor a second time and repair it all for free over a 5 or 6 dollar part. Or even worse a broken rod/block due to lack of lube from the oil being thinned out. I believe the seat kit part number is 394682. And can be had at our web site or any briggs dealer.

wasmeneh
mowerman1193, Thanks for the steering wheel tip, worked great. To all, Got carb cleaned oild changed (twice) and now have a gas shut off. Seems to run ok now will check later. Thanks Mike