Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JimC_Vt

2010 Failure

JimC_Vt
The old 1966 would not start today when I needed her the most (2 feet of snow) I found a no spark condition and checked the points,they have been in there for at least 15 years(should I replace them ???) ,so I figured it was time for a new set (I have been saving a set for just this kind of occasion) once installed the old girl fired right up and off I went snowblowing (Jim V. new tranny works great ) as I was making a pass thru the driveway I got the dogs "Kong" (dog toy ) wrapped up in the Auger and stretched the V-belt (why does snow depress me sooooooo????) Once the new belt was installed(I always have a spare ) ,I was back at it again .....I did my driveway plus 4 of my neighbors ! Eight hours of repair and blowing snow .....but the old Simplicity is a wonderfull machine :D Everyone should own one ,Jim

DaleC
I have on more occasions than I care to think about, used an old emry file of the wifes and then used a heavy piece of paper to clean them up and never had to remove the points from the tractor. If the points are not pitted bad, it will let the old briggs fire right up. I need to keep a spare set around, though.

JimV
Jim, glad to hear you got her running and I'm also glad the tranny is doing well also. BTW how was the rest of your hunting season? I got one in the freezer so far. talk to you soon. Jim V.

JimC_Vt
Hi Jim V, Not great ,did not see much up here in Vt,but I had some small monkeys on my back that needed to get done so I got the monkies out of my garage and made some cash ! Last Hunting trip to N.H. is this coming weekend ......I have taken my gun for some nice long walks/sits but I have not pulled the trigger on anything .....but I have a ball ! see ya ,Happy Holidays ,Jim