Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transaxle Question?

JBute

I have an Allis Chalmers GT-816. I believe that this equates to the Simplicity Model 6116. My question is this. At the belt pulley that is the input pulley to the gear box, the shaft seems to have to much end play.Probably about one quarter inch. The gearbox works just fine but is this end play something that I should be concerened about? Also how difficult is it to fix? Another question is that the rear wheel hubs have some slack at the keyways. The axle shaft keyway is not worn, just the keyway in the hubs themselves. Is there an easy fix for this without having to purchase new hubs. Please reply asap as the lawn mowing season is drawing near. Jim Bute

i had to much end play last year, so i rebuilt it. its easy to there are only two gears inside the gear box. you well probably have to replace ther shafts. they were very inexpensive one was 16.00 and the other was around 25.00 dollars.

You should fix the hubs before they crack on you. My only cheap way I can think of is to file the keyway in the hub out to the next standard size width and get some key stock that has a T shape to it to fit the axle and the new hub size. Yes there is such a thing made. Ken T.

I wouldn't bother taking it apart just for that much end play - especially if it is working OK - we all get a bit of end play as we get older :)