Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower Problem/Question

Dave-Saratoga

Dave-Saratoga
I'm having trouble with the snowblower on my b-112 (single belt type). The bracket for v-groove idler pulley (looking at the blower from the front, the pulley is on the right) bends almost every time I use it, which causes the belt to travel in a bad path and eventually breaks. Has anyone else had this problem? I think the steel on the bracket must be weakened, since it bends while just running and not clearing snow. :(!

Dave, weak steel is something I haven't thought of, I'll be watching this post for sure as I've hammered mine back into shape so many times I now do it blindfolded just to make it a more interesting. Mine only get tweeted from some sort of overload, like rocks, wood splints near the wood pile. MPH

Could you replace the flat bracket with a piece of angle iron, so that the extra web would stop the bending? A little cutting and welding would be required.

Dave-Saratoga
Replacing with anything other than a fabrication would be kinda difficult. It sort of intricate. Here's some pics of mine when I pulled it out last night. First off, the pulley on the right is supposed to be at approximately the same front to back angle as the one on the left - it sort of "toes in" --------

When engaged, the 2 pulleys would rub together and make a very pretty sparking display8D After I pulled the bracket out, here's what it looked like:

The "curved" section is supposed to be straight with a slight offset for the pulley. Right now I'm debating on if I should fabricate a new one or if I should just weld some stock to the outside edge for strength. Any suggestions?

Once it has been bent it will continue to bend. I would try to straighten it and weld another piece of bar stock to it if you can double the thickness.

Dave-Saratoga
yeah, that's what i thought. problem with this piece though is that I'll actually have to add more than 1 piece due to the offset where the pulley bolts on. thanks maynard.

Is there a tension spring on the pto or hitch that takes up the slack in the belt? If it's too tight and you raise the blower with the lift it would bend that bracket and chew up a belt, it happened on my soveriegn.