Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bevel gear oil seal on B212

RayS

I have a question concerning the bevel gear the other day I was taking the pulley-half assembly off and was tapping on it with a hammer and now there is oil coming out of the seal. there is movement back and forth on the shaft that it is on but none up and down the bearings seem to be ok and i was wondering if Ishould rebuild the bevel gear box or if I could get by replacing the seal.

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Did you get everything tightened back up properly? The seal does not ride on the shaft but on the sleeve over the shaft behind the pulley. All must be tight or oil will leak between the sleeve & bearing & end play will be noticed.

Sandy_Lake_Imp
I agree with Sandy, if you don't tighten the nut that holds the pulley on the shaft not enough pressure is put on the seal as it is a plunger type meaning it relies on pressure to make it seal. I would do what Sandy suggested and then if it doesn't stop leaking then replace the seal. Best to all, >happjack<

DON"T USE THAT MOWER!, I have an A-C B-10 early and there was a little bit of slack in the pulley and the bevel gear box went bad. I hit the shaft with a hammer and broke a bearing and I did not realize it and the shaft wobbled and made the bevel gears go slick, It is probably one of the bearings, but just don't use that garden tractor or it will break the bevel gear box and that will cost about 200.00 dollars to be fixed!