Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S S/G to Gear Tooth Starter - Possible?

PhanDad

The S/G on my repowered GTHL has died, I had to "borrow" the Homelite's S/G to finish snow blowing the other day. So, before I spend any $$$ getting the "old technology" S/G repaired, what would be involved in converting a B&S 326431 (rope start) to a gear tooth starter and flywheel driven alternator? I've looked at the B&S parts list for the engine, and there are several flywheels, multiple alternator coils and a couple starters shown. It appears complicated (and expensive), but maybe not. Has anyone done the conversion? Any and all opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Price it out and I'll bet your cheaper off getting your S/G repaired. You will also want to see if your block has the 4 tapped screw holes and pilot circle for the stator and I don't know if Briggs made that a standard feature at one time or not. My 16 came with gear starter and I took it off putting on my S/G for ease of installation on my 3112. I ended using ring gear wheel because of some clearances that wouldn't let me use the 12HP wheel.

Unless there is a major reason, I would just get the S/G rebuilt. Or get one on Ebay. They are for sale quite often.

Bill after looking thru my new "service manual for out of production engines 1919-1981" I just got in the mail today,I have to agree with the rest of the guys. You can still get the S/G repair kits, in fact there was one on e-bay this last week and may still be there. Also you might check with M & D Small Engine in Bedford Indiana ( www.MandDsmallengine.com ) They have stuff for old Briggs. Larry

Larry beat me to it, Most times a failed SG is nothing more than worn brushes. Lots of shops around can match them and many will install them for you. Be sure and check out the bearings while you have it down ! Good luck....

I just recently purchased some s/g overhaul kits from JEBCO on e-bay. While I have not yet received them I got 6 bearings, 4 brushes and 1 bushing for less than $30 with shipping. I expect the goods to be here this week......:)

If you decide to go to the bendix type starter, why not install a belt driven automotive alternator instead of mounting all of the parts under the flywheel. I've seen a couple of those installations and they work great.

Now here's one for those of you inclined to have some "Emergency Preparedness" measures ready. I saw a site once that they suggested using a battery and inverter instead of a generator for energency power. The rig used an old push mower and I think a 65 amp car alternator and rectifier or something like that. The idea was to run the "mower" to charge the battery, then run the inverter to power your loads. The advantages were supposedly better use of available fuel stocks(low HP engine to charge battery) and less noise since you only run the engine when you need to charge the battery. It was all mounted on the push mower frame, so if you had a couple of units to run, you could unhook the "mower" DC output from the battery being charged and move it to another location(neighbor, barn, hunting camp, etc...) and charge that battery. I think they even said you could use it to jump start cars... Now if you mount an alternator like that on your tractor and maybe make a "Power Board" for your rectifier, regulator, plugs, cables, etc. that would fit where an implement would mount(either front or rear) or perhaps just make it to fit the 42" plow/grader blade hitch, you could use the tractor to charge your battery/inverter or even mount the whole thing for a portable power station. Even if you only wanted to mount the alternator at the rear and run it off the rear PTO and have it all mounted like a tiller would be, that might be another option. I bought one of the A-C generators Dan had for sale, but they don't seem to be all that common. This might be an emergency power system that some of you might want to consider looking into. Thinking back to the ice storm a few years ago that hit Canada pretty hard and our recent dumping on, I thought I'd throw that idea out there while the alternator one is fresh for everyone to think on...

Kirk, I cut an article out of "Mother Earth News" many years ago where someone built a portable welder from a push mower with a generator mounted to it and a large car battery. They used two ballast resistors in line with the alternator to prevent killing the engine when the arc was struck. Said it would use 1/16 inch rods. A friend also built a portable battery charger with a go-kart engine and a car alternator. Worked really well.