Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3 belt and single belt blowers.

72ac410

is there a difference,which is better.i would like to know.i have a chance on getting a allis chalmers b-10 or big ten with a blower on.which is the better blower,(other than a two-stage).

One big advantage of the single-belt blower is that you can engage it and disengage it from the driver's seat... The 3-belt required you to get off the tractor and engage it up front -- it was basically a modification of the blower used on walk-behind tractors.

I would go with the single belt blower just due to the fact that it's a lot simpler. I used my three belt blower on the Putt Putt last year. It took a bit of fiddling to get it set up right and you have to keep an eye on three belts instead of one. When they are new then stretch you have to adjust them too....

stavendirtbike
For me the 3 belt system works awesome. I do have to sometimes adjust the tension of the belts since belts do stretch under heavy use. Besides those adjustments along with greasing and lubing, etc, I have 0 problems with the system. As far as getting off to engage/disengage, not a problem for me since I keep it engaged most of the time and if you think about, it can be an advantage since you can check belt tension and other issues while you are off the tractor.

Steven, Just as an example of the single belt operation... I adjust the "over-center" on the single belt to where it will disengage itself very easily... when I lift the snowblower all the way up with the power lift, it will almost always disengage itself. This stops that auger from spinning at 1200+ RPM while I'm driving the tractor around... It also will disengage if I hit a big solid piece of ice (or chunk of pavement) that it doesn't want to ingest.... I hit a plastic garbage can lid once, and am glad it disengaged, rather than trying to shred that thing and wrap it around the impeller. I've also hit pieces of tree limbs a couple of times. To engage it again -- just push the rod forward... I've never used a 3-belt blower. But I have used a light duty snow/dozer blade, that required you shut the tractor off, get off, and change the angle. With my property, and the areas I clear, that was a real pain. Perhaps if you just have one big long driveway, it's not so bad....

thanks for replies guys.i did have a b-210 with 3 belt simplicity blower on it,but it was in the summer and the only thing to see how it would work was apples.it chucked them a few feet but would have like to seen what it would do in snow.i hope its a single belt.thank again guys.

72ac, i have a 3belt blower that i have never used, came with the tractor, from what i have read here if given the choice of a 3 belt or 1 belt blower i would choose the 1 belt blower,,,,seems like less to go wrong