Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ben_H

Starter/Generator hot

Ben_H
I haven't noticed before but the other night i noticed that my B-110's starter/generator got fairly hot and know that its not heat dissipated from the motor because the mounting bracket was cooler. The belt isn't too tight either. What do you think?

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_H
I haven't noticed before but the other night i noticed that my B-110's starter/generator got fairly hot and know that its not heat dissipated from the motor because the mounting bracket was cooler. The belt isn't too tight either. What do you think?
Keep in mind that they will run hot as they are a sealed unit as far as cooling goes and hot to your touch might be OK for SG. Kent has a valid observation about the bearings. But check it out. If the armature shaft doesn't wobble on the frame ends, more then likely it is OK. They only put out about 8-10 amps and that was for a reason. They do not get any cooling.

10HorseMan
My Starter/Gen does the same thing, but I had recently had it rebuilt, New Bearings Etc..., The guy that rebuilt it said that it was typical because of its charging the battery. If shorting out test to see if the ground cable is getting hot on the battery. :)

DaleC
I have two tractors and they both get to hot to touch. I worried about it when I first got my tractors but have figured out that after almost four years that they are not going bad. I have put about 1000 hours on one tractor and the S/G has never failed yet. You can over tighten the belt. This will but our at least the front bearing. Just tighten the belt enough for it not to slip when starting the tractor and you will be fine for a long time, I would hazard to say. Roy is right about the heat. They are going to get hot since there is no cooling provision in the design. Find the post by Al Eden. It will give you a much better understanding about these units. JMO