Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

?? for the loader guys.

rokon2813

Some of you guys seem to know your loaders pretty well. I've read the names Danco, Henry, and a couple others. Are they pretty much the same for all the garden tractors other than mountings? Would it be a lot of fabricating to take one off a Cub Cadet and mount it on a B ?? I know where there is a complete cub with one on it. The engine is supposed to be junk in the cub but will still run. At the time I saw it I didnt look real close because there was no chance I could raise the cash, but now I'm thinking it might be a possibility and wondering if I should go look again. I want one and I know I cant afford one right off a B but I dont want to have to totally rebuild the thing to make it work either. I have a welder so a little fabricating wouldnt bother me, just not a total revamp. Ideas??

Mounting of the hydraulic pump seems to be the most trouble in moving a loader from one machine to another. The other piece of engineering is setting up the loader frame. You want to make sure the frame runs the length of the tractor and has connection points to both halves of the tractor, especially on a Simplicity where the BGB is the only thing holding the tractor together. Most garden tractors are weak where the tranny bolts to the frame. The best engineered for loaders I have seen are the Cub Cadets and the Sunstars. My Thoughts anyhow....

:DDan, ;)With a fire wrench and a welder anything can be done. Just be sure to have your plan of attack all figured out before you start.

Dan, I think Sam summarized the mounting issues pretty pretty well, as much as I know about them.... Just for usefulness, I think the Johnson Workhorse would be a good one -- perhaps the best. They have double-action lift cylinders (AC/Simp are single action) in addition to two bucket cylinders (AC/Simp has one). You can get real downpressure with one, and ride the bucket when trying to scoop up packed dirt. With the AC/Simp, you can only curl the bucket and drive forward -- you can't really lift the tractor up onto the bucket very well. Also, the Johnson has a level bucket indicator, which the AC/Simp ones don't. The Johnson was made available with mounting kits to fit most all the popular brands of L&G tractors (Sears, JD, Cub, Bolens, Wheelhorse, Simp/AC for sure that I know of...) so it was pretty self-contained and interchangeable. One feature the Simp/AC ones have, that the aftermarket ones don't is the capability to have a center-mounted implement mounted at the same time. The subframe for the L-10/L-12/Simp 515 runs beside the tractor, at the height of the footpads, not underneath the tractor's frame.... As best I can tell, the Simp/AC ones were made my Henry who made some of AC's industrial equipment. I've never seen/heard of them on a different L&G tractor.... Note that the loaders for the PowrMax class (AC 616, 620, 720) were made by either Danco or Ark... not Henry. Henry made the little ones -- for tractors all the way up through Allis 400 series. I'm not sure when Simplicity switched to Quik-Way who makes them now....

Thanks. Now maybe I'll know what I'm looknig at when I go look. Probly not in the buget till after the holidays though.

I bought a ARK 500 loader off a wheel horse with a sub fram for the wheel horse and put on my 416H. I wanted it to mount so I could leave the deck on with the loader and have clearnce to lift the deck. Took it a welding shop and they made mounts for it without the sub frame and mounted the pump to run off the bvd on the left side below the frame ahead of the axel had to change the pump out for a cw turn instead of ccw works great lifts more then my big bottom will hold down.