Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The Wonder of it All-Wonderboy 400 Pic

andy gartner

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what I'm talking about here. I have never ridden on, or actually seen, a Wonderboy 400. Or any Wonderboy for that matter. But, I told a friend, I could perhaps, help create some interest. So if you have any REAL stories to relate, about these manly beasts, please relate below. Once again, if you finish read'in before I'm done writ'in, turn the lights off on your way out the door. First, please let me direct you to Kent's extensive archival research about the 1956-7 to 1975 Wonderboy. That's almost two decades, or 20 years, in my book...amazing! What mysteries lay beneath it's skin, that it could survive so long in the shark-infested waters, of the lawn care industry??? Come one, come all, and welcome to, Andy's Big Top Tent. Where today, we have before us, the genuine, certifiable, and spectacular...daa, daa...WONDERBOY... a post 50's joy-stick, 60's 400, with a genuine airplane type steering wheel. And 24" inch mowing deck. Guaranteed to take, all day to cut the grass. Now boys, did you ever need all day to get away from the wife and kids? Put any and all doubts, heretofore, of this little WonderBOY to rest. And any questions as to why it lasted almost 20 years. For this manly beast, this man of steel, I assure you, performs without peer. It WILL take all day, and then some, to cut your grass. Can you begin to get the feel boys, for what this priceless gem means, and it's real worth, to one's peace of mind. This man's, freedom machine, possessed by few, but original owner families. Coveted like diamonds and rubys, passed on, from father to son, from generation to generation, in estates that never see the light of day. A little known secret, now revealed! And for the elite few, given the opportunity to own one, hestitate not! Boys, there is no measure to a man's freedom and peace of mind. The Wonderboy 400 series and it's forebearors, vouchsafes this right.

What kind of grass have you been mowing???? LOL I just went back and read it again.... You must be a riot in person!! "Hey honey, seen the nail clippers? I need to go trim the hedge"!!! lol

:D:D:D:D LOL,why not just cut the grass with the clippers while you have them out there....Dont forget the tape measure to make sure you get a even cut...:D[:0]

Yeah guys, but was that Andy? or andy? Who knows? How can you tell? LOL it may be time to call in the big guns! Starfleet Command to Mr. Spock!!!!!! Proceed to Earth Base at warp13.

Andy, The guys just don't seem to understand what a fine piece of machinery that we have here. A real go-getter, yet trim and sleek. The chicks lust for them and the guys that drive them. Some of the California girls think it's some new type of sports car. Mow the lawn by day and cruise the hot spots at night. What more could a man ask out of life? Simplicity at it's best!...The Wonderboy 400

Terry 13 year old on a WB! Thanks T, great pic, was hoping someone would post one! What I'm trying to do boys, is trick Fran into cutting the grass next summer, on a WB 400 I just found, but haven't purchased yet. (She likes the nonconfrontational looks-sooo-so far so good) Been in secret talks about it, with Gregc. May be Fran's X-mas present. Depends if I can unbolt steering wheel shaft, maybe remove deck, and slide package in Hyundai subcompact. Already downloaded WB 400 owner's/parts manual, so I 've been practicing disassembly in the dark, in case of a night pickup. More tales from the far side, soon...

Look out on the Lawn. Is it a high wheel go cart! Is it a geriatric wheel chair! Is it a Whatchamacallit!! No, its WONDER BOY. Faster than a push mower. More powerful than an edger. Able to mow 24" in a single pass. Mowing small lawns, creating great appearance, and perserving Suburban Manliness the Simple way!!

Dale you are too funny! Boneman-need more input please, on the Coronet/Turtle??? post to reveal its cryptic contents...? Guys, I have sweated many long nights contemplating this WB 400 x-mas present for Fran, when a three owner Simpl 700 unexpectedly appeared-what to do?) Fran loves the look of the funky, 700/725, and would ride my Wards 725-ugh!. So, I guess this is a woman thing and not size thing, as I thought. Jeeze, I don't know, we need a better female expert than me. I'm not real happy thinking about her driving my priceless 725 into trees, while going through the learning curve. She needs her own tractor for us to stay friends. Gregc thought, she could cut grass ALL day on the WB, and I could use it at night.

Andy G- The Coronet i refer to is here-- http://www.simplicitymfg.com/p_coronet.html around here in Mass many of my friends call those type of mowers turtles because of the way they look. I was at another board where I had met Kent and had asked a question about a JD 110 because I like older things { except women} and at that point Kent pointed me in the right direction. I saw a 725 and BAM !!!! the Tractor Tick had bitten me and my search for a 700 or 725 style tractor was on. No offense to anyone but thank God i did not buy that JD112.

Ihave two of the beasts, a 1962 model and a newer one that I'm unable to identify, The older old has been used for mowing,and plowing snow, the newer one I've set up for snow plowing this year. Older model has a 24" mower, and the newer one has a 26" mower. Both are fun to use. See photos. For those interested there's one on e-bay.

Oh, now a 700 has been thrown into the stew. I don't know, Andy, what if you get Fran the 700 and it breaks down while she is mowing? With her being so familiar with the 700 she just might want to borrow your Wards until her's is fixed.[:0] Better study on this one some more.;)

Okay now you got me thinking (this could be dangerous). I imagine "wonderboy" a masked caped crusader that goes around fighting crime with a cape riding on a wonderboy tractor (very intimidating indeed) he may also write out citizen arrests for folks that don't have their lawn clipped to the correct height. I'm thinking of an actror that could play the part----how about Don Knotts??? He is only allowed one bullet. The wonderboy coudld be tubbed and add wings (like the batmobile) with flames shooting out the rear (of the tractor) "wonderboy may need to wear asbestos underwear. What do you think? do we have a shot at a new series or comic book??. John H

Look Boys, have an emergency...need a hand here...!!! 'Unhandy andy', is kind of distracted and stuck over in the "725 w/a 10HP gas flow problem," forum. I have suggested the fellow put a 275 gallon fuel oil tank, up high, on his repowered 725...well, you can take it from there, and maybe help out. Please note 725/275...:) Thanks..see ya back here soon...

Harry, great pics thanks! Glad you dropped in!! Yup Greg, You're exaclty correct about the 725! There's a trap, I don't want to fall into. The WB has the upper hand now! John, definitely a Wonder-Boy comic book series, at the least, but you bring up another issue... Here at the farm John, we do have a little problem, now that you mention it...I guess, we dress funny. Some of the boys, wear capes, top hats, and the like, when cutting the grass...people always stopp'n in asking where's the party??