Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Air Conditioned Kohlers

richp

Fred Olsen and others. Just my opinion on why there seems to be more Kohlers with holes in the side than B&S. I think the kohler dipper rod is not as effective for lubrication as the B&S slingers. This will give cam and cylinder wear when running on side hills (which we have alot of here in WI). Then they start smoking and using oil. Many of these tractors with kohlers (mostly JD and cubs and AC) are owned by farmers, and decendents of farmers who are used to fixing things themselves. So they fix that smoking engine by installing new rings without boring out the cylinder (too costly, new piiston, rod, boring, etc.). Shortly after the piston skirt breaks or the rod breaks because of the stresses. and VOILA! -- crankcase with a window. In the salvage yards around here you can find whole B&S but not Kohlers. Just my opinion. I would like to hear some others. --Mike S--

I see no bit on the "slingers" comment. But talking to a Voc Tech school instructor in Kohlers back yard says that the B&S dipper/splasher is more effective than Kohlers. "Keep the crankcase full and clean."

Hi Mike, but lets learn something from it like what the heck are you refering to-please explain more about it. And then lets take it from that point and make it a possitive one as I would like to learn somemore about both systems. Thanks->jackl-happyjack<-

Jack and others: The B&S cast iron engine uses a dipper rod the same as the Kohler. B&S alum. engines uses a "slinger" for lubrication. Just checking to see if anyone caught it. A long time engine rebuilder in the area claims the B&S dipper works better especially if mowing on side hills. Though kohlers are much more popular, they are hard to find around here without holes in the side.