Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

It'll be worth it( I hope)

Tim_S

As you can see I have a little work ahead of me,as some of you know the rear end won't just come out easily. I had to practically lift the tractor on my shoulder about three ft. off the ground to get the right side to clear the frame. The transaxle is in pieces as I was going to rebuild it ( the input shaft is sheared off and several gears missing teeth). I had a 3416H and during my divorce four years ago , I had nowhere to put it so Duh, I had a mental lapse and gave it away, the guy I gave it to recently became my father and law, so I am hoping maybe just maybe he wont need it any more. I am now on my second wife and tractor. I picked this beauty up for 400.00, now your probably saying he IS NUTS. The motor is tight and runs great except for when I lift my hinee off the seat switch. I really need to convince my wife that this was a decent choice and things don't look so good right now with no rear wheels and all I recived an email from someone on this site and he is slow to deliver, I wont give the name but he has a tranny he will sell me. Only problem is I have called him and after a week he is still "getting around to it". This is a 6216. Can anyone give me a lead on one of those? Thanks in advance. [img]/club2/attach/Tim%20S/tractor%20001.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/Tim%20S/tractor%20002.jpg[/img]

Read the post at the top of the forum on how to upload pictures. The file name can not contain any spaces or symbols in the title You must rename the file and reupload it. Tim S./tractor 001 Take the space out between Tim & S drop the . & the / take out the space between tractor and 001 it should look like this TimStractor001

Tim, Those rear ends are super easy to rebuild. You may consider ordering the necessary parts and grease and do it yourself. You can also get a service manual for it for about 10 bucks. Good Luck.

quote:
I picked this beauty up for 400.00
Tim, Just wondering if you are refering to the tractor or your second wife? LOL:D;):D;) Good luck with the transaxle. I know what you mean about your wife not appreciating it right now. I recently sold my running AC 712S with 46" blade and deck so I could purchase a 7116 (blown engine) with blower, tiller, and deck. She couldn't understand why I would sell a running tractor to purchase one that needs to be rebuilt. She'll understand when it's running. I hope. Stan

Thanks a million for the picture upload advice Maynard. I am usually fairly savvy at that stuff but I missed it that time. I hope to post another picture of the completed deal soon. I have looked into rebuilding the rearend and it didnt look cost effective at the time as most of the main gears are gone looks like one tooth went and fell into the other teeth and just crunched the whole works. What looks like the sun and planet gears are still intact however all 1st 2nd and third gears are shot. A7117puller I really hate to get a whole other tractor, do you think he would part with the tranny? I was not talking about my wife ,I dont even want to think about a discussion involving lifting her 3ft off the ground I wont even go there not even close .

Tim, If you are planning a rebuild I would say about $300 when all said and done, and that is without replacing the third gear that runs about $200. I just did one about 2 months ago. IMO the input shaft for this tractor is much too small (only 1/2'') especially when running a tiller as I am. You are running a twin cyl 16HP Variable speed, that has "TONS" of torque. Anyway getting back to what I spent: shaft $60, each set of small gears $65x3, gasket kit $30, I think 6 bearings at $5 and some special washers and clips, anyway the total was around the 300 mark. All you really need is the parts list downloaded from Simplicity to put the thing back together, and it is very simple to do. You have done 1/2 of the hardest part and that was getting it out. I know what you mean about the lifting. I went into the woods and cut 2 logs about 30'' long and put them under the foot boards. Wife called them hillbilly jack stands. LOL but they worked. Hope this helps.

If your other contacts dont come through, PM me (ask Dan lol). I have another customer that wants one but I might have 2. Gotta check to be sure. Dan

Is that a manual transaxle? I have a manual one from a 6118,located in Northern Indiana.If you think you can use it,come get it,it's yours.:) Let me know.

Thanks for the replies. I thought this post was long lost in the never ending pile. I have replied personally to a few of you and many thanks for your input. I recently moved into a fixer upper and have been pretty much consumed with the repairs,as you can see the tractor is unfortunately in the outdoors.I have a shed but it was full before I bought the tractor. I would love to eventually build a garage like the ones some of you describe in another post. As it is now I thought I was going to be rebuilding the tranny outside on the pic nic table. The way the weather is here in PA dutch country I might not feel my fingers after awhile out there working on the tractor but such is life. I agree the input shaft is too small for this application and I am not sure just what it will stand up to. The 3416H I gave away had a snow blower with it that I can probably get but I dont think it will fit without modifications because we are going from horizontal briggs to vertical, once again no shop no cutting torch and no welder. I wonder if the 6216 is capable of blowing or pushing snow in heavy drifts without another tranny problem in the future? Oh well if it gives again worse things have happened. One thing I have learned though is it appears Simplicity had some problems with some models this tranny appears to be too weak for heavy stuff. I am cosidering some type of shear pin to save the gears if there ever is another problem.