Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC Blower speed problems...HELP

AC808

My AC 808/18 doesnt seem to be able to run a blower fast enough... any thoughts? The pully i used when i repowered the tractor is from a 4211. AT full throttle the blower just tosses the snow out the spout jsut barely clearing the side of the blower. Could the pto pulley be the wrong size? belt slippage? let me know what you all think.... 73 jay

Were you in deep snow or just enogh to cover the driveway? And what are the two pulley diameters, the engine driver and the snow blower driven?

It was just enouhg to cover the drive way...not sure of the pully dimensions... possible that the 18hp runs at a lower rpm than an 8 or 11hp ?

I had that problem as well. I have a 2 1/2 inch pully on the motor. I took off the 6 inch. I replaced it with a 2 inch, and it seens to spin fast enough. I havent tryed to plow any snow with it yet. The belt that I got is now too long. "figures" Im going to get a new belt and try it again this week end. I'll let you know how I make out. Elon

If the blower housing isn't pretty full of snow, it won't throw it far regardless of how fast it is turning... you have to drive fast if there isn't much snow. That said, the snowblower should be turning about 1/3 the engine speed, if you can calculate all the pulleys and gears in between.

08-Before you jump off the deep end, wait until you get a measureable snow. Sounds like you didn't have enough snow on the ground for the blower to gather up and heave. My guess is that the blower speed should be roughly 1/3 to 1/2 engine speed, or 1200 to 1800 RPM based on a 3600 RPM engine. If you have a way to safley record the blower speed and it is within the above range, you should be OK. Most mower engines on RLMs, garden tractors or whatever generally run between 3400 and 3600 full load RPM.

If you find that the auger is turning fast enough but it still will not throw snow very far check the amount of clearence between the paddle part of the auger and the snowblower sheet metal. I bought a blower for my john deere and it would hardly toss any snow. The paddle part was worn down enough that it wouldn't work well. I built the paddles up so they just cleared the chute part and what a difference that made. Now it throws snow 30 feet. Just an idea for you to check. Mike

Hey guys thanks for the info...Im going to put the thrower back on this weekend and try it in some deeper snow...see if that helps... thanks jay