Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle Bar capabilities

Chris727

A few questions about the sickles for AC simplicity. What angles can they cut at? Can they cut in the raised position, can they be angled downward when the tractor is driving at the edge of a slope, so it will cut the side of the slope or do they only cut with little variation of height possible? Are any parts available, seems I heard somewhere that HABAN was out of business? Do they cut small trees or does that mess up the teeth, 1/2" diameter tress. Thanks. Chris

Chris, it will cut about 45 to 50 degrees up, about 20 degrees down,i use mine on the edge of a slope, (nice to run duel rear wheels,much more stable)I can't tell you about parts, i haven't needed any, as far as what it will cut,i've cut a lot of small sumac trees,at least 1/2" thick,(there soft)That's running just off idle,in 1st gear, i'm very happy with mine, it works great. Hope that helped ya, Eric

I have a Haban on my 700 and it lets me cut down 30 degrees and it will actually let you cut 90 degrees-vertical. I wonder if I bring that down to about 70 degrees, can I run around my pines and have them trimmed for Christmas trees?

Guess thats got me sold on getting one. I have some hard to mow areas. Now I've got to save up some money in the tractor fund. Thanks guys. Chris

I Have never used the small AC and Simplicity sickles. But have use the lager tractor sickles for many years. Two things to rember is keep your finger way from all moveing sickle parts as You lift the sickle even when the sickle and tractor is stoped. And watch out for cats or any pets that might get in the way or hiding in the deep grass. In both situations someone will come up shot.