Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 with 10 h.p.fuel problems

tacomac

I have two 725,s both with 10 h.p Briggs engines. The inlet to the carburater is higher than the outlet from the fuel tank. If the gas tank gets low on fuel I run out of gas. Does anyone have a fix for this problem?

Fuel pump. They have had to do it on certain Kohler installations. But there were no fuel pumps on the 725 that I can remember.

One thought, if you can't figure out a fuel pump setup. Unless I'm mistaken, the intakes on at least some of the newer, later engines (15 & 16HP, for sure) engines are longer -- i.e. the carb is mounted down lower. Perhaps you could find a couple of these longer intakes....

I know it is not a proper fix but it could be considerd a temporary fix. Raise the tank...if you can raise the tank even 1/4" you will get some extra fuel in the Tractor.

Raise the tank. My 61 Wards with the 14 Hp Kohler (side draft carb) will run out of fuel with 2 inches of fuel in the tank. Planning to put a spacer under the tank and lift it up. I had a fuel pump, but it was more trouble than it was worth.

I have a 243431 Briggs 10 horse with the long inlet, so they will fit that engine if you can find one. You'll need a shorter linkage from the governor arm to the throttle shaft since the carb sits lower.

Ditto above on raising gastank, since originality isn't a concern anymore, you could probably just remove the hood, and throw it away to accomplish this. Wow! How did you jam a 10 HP engine in a classic 7 1/4 Hp 725. Ya'know these things are balanaced and wind tunnel tested at the factory. Yours, is likely so top heavy, it'll never get into orbit... :) PS: Welcome aboard Scotty!

Andy, My 61 Wards is basically a 725 Simplicity. I have had a 10 Hp B/S, then a 12 Hp Kohler from a Cub Kadet, and now a Flat bottom 14 Hp Kohler. I did not cut the notch in the frame that the later models have. Had to also move the grille forward some to clear the larger engine. I fabricated plates that mount to the original holes in the frame, then mounted the grille to them. I also bolted a plate into the rear of the hood where the cross bar was and moved the crossbar down about 3 inches. Looks good with "no hacking of the hood and grille". I have a small automotive steering wheel, so the hood still opens like it originally did.

Well Rod, Sounds like you've done a fair amount of modification and fabrication. I'm not that, 'handy andy', so I look for easy. My suggestions are usually pretty worthless, to handy folks. Like the boys above, I'm suggesting easy, to get things rolling. OK, instead of throwing away the hood, he could give it to Kirk who would put it to good use. BLT did a mod thing on his Broadmoor, I think, like this. He put a v-8 or something in it, and had to remove the hood.?? Me personally? Well, I dislike stopping for gas... ever... so I would take one of my extra fuel oil tanks, mount it above the carb, and have lots of gravity helping out here. ;) Seems like if he wants to keep the hood, he could use the fuel pump.

Just use the oil tank to replace the hood, put dual wheels on the rear and lengthen the front axle to stabilize the tractor and you're set. Oh yeah, you might want to raise the seat a little bit too.

Andy, Here is a picture of my 61 Wards as you requested in the PM. I couldn't figure how to put the picture in the PM.

Hope this shows the changes.

Rod, Kent is right about the intake being longer on the 12 HP and up tractors. My Big ten has the short on and the B-12 has the long one.

Thanks for all the help, I have tried to raise the tanks, but the hold down brackets aren't long enough,without making new ones. One tractor has the frame cut out under the engine to let the engine mount lower, the other tractor has the hood notched out to clear the muffler. I now have a snowblower on one tractor and a blade on the other. they both work well as long as I keep them full of gas. The tractor with the lower engine will almost empty the tank before it quits running, but the other one dies just below a half of tank. I may just cut the frame on the other tractor to lower the engine.

One final thought -- make sure you're using a non-restrictive fuel filter, made for small engines. An automotive fuel filter can cause a lot of problems with these oldies -- been there, done that... won't do it again!

I've had to replace two of the clear automotive filters with the little red L&G type because of fuel starvation on my sloping lot...