Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dual Blowers??

thedaddycat

OK, in a recent post about blowers I pulled this old Sears out of the snow. Running my fingers as usual, I jokingly asked about mounting a blower on the rear of a tractor as well as the front. This is the blower.

I checked the rotation and quess what? Yep, it'll turn the right way so next would be the mount. I could either mount it so the tractor lift works it or mount it solid(like a vac system) and use the lift on the blower.

Mounted to the 3416 H(I'll have to swap the Briggs 16 single out of that 3415) that has lights and power lift, I could use the right PTO lever for the front blower and the left(cone clutch) PTO lever for the rear blower. With the easy operating hydro tranny, I could blow snow in both directions and never need to worry about having to turn around!! But would it be worth while? You'd NEED a parking lot if you ever did need to turn around with blowers on both ends...... I guess the question would be this: Yes it can be done, but is it worth it?

I'd say on a cool scale of 1 - 10 that would be a 10!! If you have a lot of turning around to do this would be the cats meow! If anything you would have a hellava conversation piece!

I don't know Kirk. I always find it easier to answer the questions after the fact, WAS it worth it? But then I'm usually in trouble by then.

First thought I had Kirk was you were gonna stack them for deep snow. Why would you need to synchronize the spouts? your not gonna have snow coming out of both at the same time anyhow. MPH

Power rotators for both with one control switch, Marty!! Mount the rocker in the dash so the spouts turn towards the side you are holding down. Once you've got them aimed right, it's the old forward/reverse. I just got tired of making the trip backwards with the plow doing nothing on this last storm which led to this lightbulb going off......

Kirk, Dan suggested the rear mounting method when I got mine from him. I just figured that I'm getting too old for all that looking over my shoulder. Don't need any extra "cricks" in my neck. I forgot to say that you have to reverse the direction that the auger turns, if you do a front mounting. I plan to cross the belt between the engine and idlers. The blower is turning correctly when mounted on the rear. Question is: Did you make yourself a template for skids, before you sent me the brackets? If not I will make you a template with dimensions if you need it.

Kirk, I'd make the tractor lift operate it. Pulling that lever over your right shoulder just looks painful, or at least a pain.[:0] Problem that leads to is having a right lift lever for the front so you can use the left for the rear.:D Or since its a 3416 H dual hydro lifts ??:D:D

I traced the outline of the stub so I have a pattern. The 3416 H has the electric lift on it. I would have to get a lot further into this one before I'd start to worry about the nuts and bolts of the lift....

quote:
Originally posted by tractormike
With a blower on each end wouldn't you have trouble telling if you were coming or going?:D8D8D8D
I have that trouble with just one blower...:D[:0]

I guess you would be ok with a hydro or variable but on the gear tranny tractors backing up would be to fast for the blower...wouldn't it? BTW I would rather hook it on the front side by side to clear a larger path per pass,kinda like a gang blower or something..

both in front side by side, or one blower in the front with a plow blade on either side angled so the snow will be pushed into the one blower in the middle....lordi hope the wifey doesnt read this

Dan, Kirk, I have a question. The idler pulley on the one that Kirk posted above is rather small. On the one that I got, the idler pulley is about 4 inches in diameter. In fact it hits the other pulley with engaged off the tractor without a belt. I would like to verify the correct size of the idler pulley. I have sustpected that the idler on mine was too large. Can you measure the idlers on the ones you have so that I can determine the right size and buy one?

Why does this conjure up visions of that two-headed llama-like creature on Dr. Doolittle? A "pushme pullyou" or whatever it was called....

I would like to thank Kirk for the pictures, and Dan for the backup. I know now that the idler on my blower is too big. I thought the belt would have to run downward at a sharp angle for that one to release. Have to get a smaller one.

Kirk, had a thought about your scyro'd spouts. If they both rotate the same, the rear one will be pointing forward at the same time the front one is, you better find a cab... MPH

Marty, though this is all just a theoretical exercise right now here's how I envisioned it working. The dash rocker switch mounts so the switch will rock right-left, akin to my power lift switch rocking front-back. With both spouts wired correectly, when you rock right both spouts point to the right side of the tractor. As you bump the switch to the left, they both swing so they point straight out away from the tractor. As you continue to bump left they both end up pointing to the left side of the tractor. Now when you would use it, let's say the wind is blowing right to left as you travel forward down the driveway. You aim the spouts to the left and then get to work. With a single blower you have to change the spout direction every time you turn around for the next pass back the other direction. With dual blowers and syncro-spouts you just go forward/revese and steer. About the only real useful application I can think of for a system like this is if you have a long and narrow place where you need to get to but there's not enough room to turn around at the end.

Possible I'm not thinkin right cuz the patch ain't the same as a camel filter, but it seems on motor would have to rotate in reverse too keep the rear spout from pointing forward. I know mine would find a chunk of snow too throw at me if it ever did.. MPH