Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ATF in an L10 loader is foaming.

pondo

I put some auto trans fluid in my L10 loader. It seems to be aerating the oil. I had a loose suction line which I tightened, but the oil still gets air in it when I cycle the loader. I know I should be using hydr. fluid, but ATF can't have detergents that foam up, or else atf would foam up in the gears of a trans....Right?

See this excerpt from the Simplicity 515 (L-12) Owners/Operators Manual: >>MAINTENANCE Oil used should be non-foaming and have high oxidation resistance. The oil should have a high viscosity index. Detergent type oils are satisfactory if they are non-foaming. Oil should meet API classification MM-MS. For highest temperatures of 0° F. use SAE 5. For highest temperatures 0° F. to 70° F. use SAE 10. For temperatures above 70° F. use SAE 20. SAE 1OW30 may be used for all temperature ranges. NOTE: Use only clean oil and clean containers, Dirt can destroy hydraulic system components. << I suggest you drain it, and refill it with the proper oil. Run that for a few minutes, cycling the controls, then drain it again. Then refill it...

Sounds like the loader is having problems. Probably should just get rid of it. I'll take it off your hands for free. No charge for me to come and get it from you:D

Sorry it took so long to get back to this, I am still learning the layout of the site. Someday, I hope to be able to change my email successfully so I dont get everything at work. I think the loader had water in it, it was and is milky, I have changed it about 5 times and it still looks milky.

I run 10W-30 in my L-10 loader. I havn't had any problems with it though. I took the cylinder of mine and put them back on after putting new orings in it. It Had a couple air pockets in it but that came out of it after I ran the loader up and down a few times. When I changed the oil it looked milky. So after I got it drained, I noticed there was some dirt biuld up at the bottom. I cleaned that out and It hasn't been milky scince. Good luck and have fun!!