Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dratkinson

Small yard, like playing in snow...what's good?

dratkinson
All, I've tried to mount a snowthrower (unknown manufacturer) to a B-206 (10hp i/c b&s added). While it seemed to work great in theory and on dry pavement, it was less than a complete success during this week's 8" snow. Problems noticed. The snowthrower stalled when it hit the heavy, wet compacted snow thrown up onto the sidewalk by the city plow. At the time I was going down hill, riding the clutch, and the rear chains (one) were slipping. I have the double-pulley idlers and will look at tightening the spring tension. I've read some of your posts about the tension-side idler needing to be fixed, not moveable. I could build this change if the transaxle problems could be overcome. The 3-speed transaxle is too fast in first and is not limited slip. Question. If I'm throwing money at a bad combination...if the only way to fix these problems is to jack this thing up and run a bigger one under it...then what do you all recommend as a good combination mower/snowthrower? I want to take care of my small yard (4000 sq feet). I want to be able to remove the snow from my driveway (3-car, 100', steep), my neighbors driveways, and our mutual city sidewalks (30" wide). When Baby Alice slipped off the curb it was impossible to back up and get back on the sidewalk...it's a good thing it's light. I'd also like electric start and work lights. I'd like a hitch to be able to mount a core aerator that uses the tractor weight to force the tool into the ground...looking for the greenest lawn around. I would also like to be able to pass through narrow gates to get into my neighbors back yard and play there as well. :-) I was noticing on eBay a 738 (w/ thrower) and a 525 (w/o thrower) but have not found brochures on your site that would tell me of their specifications...though found many brochures for the A-Cs. I've seen the pictures in your galley of one of your members with a 525 and thrower doing an excellent job. Are either of these recommended for serious fun. With the amount of time and money (don't ask) I've spent so far, I guess I'm looking for a little instant gratification. Thank you in advance for your help. /r David Denver, USAF (ret)

Kent
The 738 is essentially a 727 with one more HP out of the Briggs engine. Here's the brochure info for the 727: http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/New_in_1969/broadmoor_727.htm IMO, it is "one step up" from what you have already... while the Serf 525 is essentially the same size, with less HP. Some things you could do with what you have: 1. Stop the belt slippage on the blower 2. Add weight to the tractor for traction, by loading the rear tires, add wheel weights, adding rear weight or a combination 3. Consider adding a larger pulley on the transmission (and a correspondingly longer belt) to slow the tractor down in low gear

goatfarmer
Personally,I would take the "step up",especially if you don't know if the blower that you mounted is correct for the tractor. BTW,a lot of snowblowers won't handle the wet mushy stuff worth a darn.

dratkinson
Thanks. I tightened the spring tension tonight and was going to try it by running it across the drifts in my yard, but the recoil start would not engage. It's always something. I'll look at it in the light tomorrow. If I'm understanding you correctly...enough weight will overcome/offset the lack of limited-slip? Okay, I've read where you all have been putting windshield washer fluid into the rear tires, so I'll try that next. In a previous request for help, you all had suggested ways to winterize this toy so my kill switch would not short out and my throttle cable would not freeze. As a temporary patch, I cut up some cardboard panels, painted them with ACE rustoleum, and put them into place. This seemed to work okay and the cardboard did not fall apart. If I can get the other problems fixed, I'll work on converting these panels to sheet metal later. Also, if I can get the problems fixed, I'll send you some pictures. Baby Alice actually looks better than she is working right now. And I noticed that you don't have any pictures of a B-206. /r David