Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starting problem

magnumpu98

While tilling with my 3416H I thought the stater belt was loose so I tightened it and now i cant get the tractor to turn over. I can use a screw driver to jump it at the solenoid but not by turning the key. Did i tighten the belt too tight? Scott

Scott, It would seem to me to be a switch or solenoid not the belt too tight. But hopefully one of the other fellas be in to help you more.

I am not familair with your tractor set up, but it sounds like a safty switch or a blown fuse somewhere. Don't you just hate it when you fix one thing then something unrelated you think shows up. You always feel like you have done something. I am sure you will find a simple solution. When you jump the solenoid you are by passing all the switches and fuses.

Dale, Interesting, I didn't know that would by pass them. Only got one "imitation" tractor new enough to have all those saftey features, and, huh, well for some reason, they don't work.

I have a 3416h also and I keep the belt tight to a 1/4 inch deflection when you push down on top. did you by any chance pinch one of the wires that runs from the soleniod with the large screw driver or prybar if you stuck it between the engine and the shroud it may have pinched it. My second guess would be the safety soleniods on the hydro or the pto or there is usually one with a jumper that is unused on the opposite side of the pto easy to check and a little wd 40 is always good for them.

I forgot about those safety switches ill look into that! Thanks This happened a couple years ago and i cant remember what i did to fix it.[:0]