Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Diesel engine for 1920H Agco Allis

Jason
8DHi I was just wondering if it is possible to put a 23 or 25 hp diesel or gas engine into a 1920H Agco Allis. It's not because I don't like the power of the 1920,It just a possiblity for if and when I have to replace the engine in my 1920H, I don't think I need to worry just yet, mine only has 538 hours on it, when I bought it, it had 351 hours on it! Also is it hard to install a 3 point hitch and diffrential lock as well as a rear PTO to an 1920 that does not come factory equiped with those options Thanks Jason B :)

BLT
Jason, I do not beleive there is a drop in kit form engine, Diesel, that would suit your needs. If perhaps you had an severe engine failure, let's say in the height of mowing season, you need something that will give you the least amount of downtime. That means engine for engine. From all of the threads I have seen here, the shortest conversion time has been about 80 days as all of the people do not have a time frame nor a business like you. I have been associated with the Diesel engine businees going into my 44th year and as much as see their advantage, in your case stay with the gas engine. The most important item to me for you to get long life out of your existing engine is to make sure that the engine bulkhead seal does not deteroate. This seal insures that you will get cleanest cooling air possible for the engine. In the Soverign class tractors, Simplicity cooling air has been sucked from the bottom of the tractor about right above the mower deck when mowing grass you get the dirtiest of air to blow thru the engine. The folks at the fatory corrected this by getting their air for the Sunstar thru the top of the hood. But is the seal goes to heck you nothing more then an expensive Soverign. That seal needs to checked periodically to make sure it is tight. I just replaced one on mine. When I replaced it I had to make sure my cooling fins on the engine were also unubstructed. I have a CH 20 engine and they are more dependent on cooling air for the cylinder head then the flat heads.

Nubian
Great minds think alike! :) I have thought about that alot, diesel is the way to go if at all possible for torque and fuel economy and engine longevity. If I did not already own a diesel tractor I would defnitely look into it. I figured it safe to own one of each diesel and gas that is ^ BTW you have a looong way to go before making that decision, if you take care of that Magnum engine it will last a long time.

Al
Hi, We just temperature certified a 25hp repower kit for the 1920/Sun Star family and passed the muffler EPA requirements. Am awaiting the final results from Kohler on the test as they record the results. Very shortly it will be available from us. Al Eden

gretsch
Jason, 3-point and rear pto are relatively to install if you find some made for the Sunstar/Ultima line. The differential lock is something more complicated. The diff lock is located internally so you would have to switch out the transaxle(?) assembly with one from another Sunstar/Ultima with this feature.

Jason
Thanks For the information, I think maybe I will keep my 1920H the way it is! A three point hitch would be nice so that I could put a small sander on the back to spread salt on slippery driveways. Take Care Jason Ps: My 1920H does not have the magmum engine, but a Kohler V -Twin Command 20Hp