Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler 16 hp

stevenj

I'm looking to buy a newer (still old) tractor. Are there any particular issues or problems with the Kohler 16 hp single cylinder that I should know about or should I keep looking for a Briggs powered unit? How about the other Kohler single and twin cylinder engines?

All ive ever had are kohlers. No need for briggs. I havent found any particular problems with these engines except that the fins plug up and it dosnet run properly. We have a twin kt17 also, bought it in 87 and never worked on it. THese are good engines, I woundt worry about it8D

Last summer My Dad and my Son rebuilt a Kohler K321 (14 horse)motor for my Cub Cadet. Tractor and motor is 30 years old. Motor was in several boxes when we purchase tractor.Main reason motor was rebuilt was bearings on balance gears froze up. I luck out-no major damage done to motor. :) Motor was rebuilt without balance gears. You can't tell difference between one with balance gears or one without balance gears.;) I have close to $300 in rebuild. New motors are $1100 plus.[:0] My break-in procedure is normal for me. I drove tractor around for a hour. Change oil and start pulling light loads. When motor had 10 hours on it I change oil again hook brinly moldboard plow to tractor and went to an IH plow day. I plowed 4-5 hours with no problems. With a little TLC and a good preventitive maintance my kohler should last another 30 plus years.;)