Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Regent

We found a 12HP Regent in new condition but can't determine the year of manufacture. It is a hydro with 36 inch deck. Briggs engine. Anybody know the age?

Mine is 12.5 hp with a 36" deck and it is a 1994. 1995 was the last year for that style, in mid-1995 (1996 model year) they went to the current style. I hope this helps narrow it down.

My 12.5 has the rounded orange hood that is similar to the current Broadmoor, except without the side panels covering the engine.

The first two numbers of the engine serial will tell you the year it was made - if it is the original. They are a good lawn tractor. The series first started in 1976 with 8HP and 3spd trans. 12HP started in 1986/87 using designation Regent 4212 so there is a chance the original engine may have been replaced. I think white squared hoods were used up until early 1990s, orange squared hoods until mid 1990s, and then newer orange rounded stlye after that? I need help with this though. Ron - does your 12.5 have an orange squared hood? The next 14HPs and up would be the current style but I think there was a rounded hood model with the 12.5 - 36 just before for one year? I can't remember - I could be all wrong.