Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snowblower

patrician12

Today was the first time I used my snowblower attachment on my 916.I tried it in 1st. in low range and 2nd in low range,no matter what the chute would clog up.It is not a powder snow but a rather wet type is this a common problem?

Is it an older blower? Any rust or rough paint in the chute? If so, at least hit it with a wire-wheel or sandpaper and give it a couple of squirts of paint. If things are already smooth (or after the above is done), wax that baby up...I use teflon marine wax, but even a shot of Pam cooking spray would probably help (I know a few fellas who do this). 'luck

I thought about getting a snowblower, but my experience with wet snow and blowers isnt good. Most of the snows we have around here are usually wet and include a lot of sleet. My previous job included cleaning the town sidewalks. We had a big JD walk behind. I remember the thing wearing me out, because you ended up 'plowing the snow' instead of blowing it. I also remember the snow dribbling out the end instead of blowing like I thought it would. I liked moving snow with a case skidloader. Talk about fun. That thing would move snow all day long and spin around on a dime. Wish I had one for the house. ddh ddh

I let Bob move my snow.He is getting old and that little 24 hp engine works hard but with a cab on it it beats the heck out of a little tractor.

I had the same thing happening today with my 712S - although it did get the job done. I am thinking two things: 1) If the snow is not more than 3" you really have to be moving quick to keep it from clogging. 2) I have a little surface rust on the inside of my chute- I thing i will try to sand it down and repaint as soon as possible. Can anyone recommend a wax/no stick chemical to put on the blower? Thanks

Would an industrial Silicone Spray work? Some of that stuff is slicker than greased snot. I used it on the windows on my house. The previous owner never opened a window in 20 years and the plastic guides did not want to let them slide. Industrial Silicone Spray did the trick.

I use Pam cooking spray on my snow blower, mower decks, and when I am done with fall plowing I spray Pam on my moldboard plow. Works great-no rust problem with plow.

The meber who thinks $10.00 is too much for membership is insane.I put up a post about my snowblower problem.I took in the opinions given to me and checked them out.Sure enough the shute is scaled with rust and not remotely smooth.I sanded it and painted it with appliance epoxy paint let it dry and put on Pam.It works great!!!What is this advice worth?

Keith, Glad to hear you've met with success! Nothing so irritating as getting a big dump of snow and then not being able to keep up with it due to equipment problems...and a clogged chute ranks near the top in my thinking. By the by...while I don't like to push business towards big retailers, West Marine has outlets across the country...also has an internet site/store for mail order. They have a couple of teflon-based marine waxes available for around ten or fifteen bucks. The stuff is tough and slick.

Keith, how'd you like using the Epoxy paint? I find it hard to get runs with. Have to keep me posted on how its holding up as this artic desert I'm in isn't giving me any reason to use mine and at -20 its hard to call it so much fun to just go blow pathways through the south 40.. MPH

I have a 36" blower on a 2110 (10 horse). As stated before, all sufaces of the blower need to have a nice coat of paint. And also as stated before, you need to run at 3/4 to full throttle. I use 1st gear, sometimes with big piles/deep snow you need to take small bites. Aside from that try spraying Rain-X .........even with wet snow.....no clogs. Terry This was a snow/rain mix by this point>>>>>>>>> [img]/club2/attach/terry9/Blowin2.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if you could replace the chute itself (looks like a simple rounded metal sheet) with a stainless sheet and polish it with a buffer. It wouldn't rust, and would probably stay polished for quite a while. One of these years, I'll get a blower of my own, hehe