Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sno Pro gear box

olendorf

I have a AC Sno Pro #1690382 5HP snow blower. I was concerned about the oil seeping out of the gear box and figured the grease was detiorating. So naturally I opened the box up expecting to see grease and what I have is runny brown goop about the consistancy of a chocolate shake. Is this normal? What do I need to order to refill this thing? OK, you can stop laughing now.

That is a combination of water and grease. Best to clean it out. Also if you can and this is a stretch, install new shaft seals. If not check for brown goup every two to three years.

Thanks. Now what do I use for grease? I was going to use synthetic wheel bearing grease until I saw the goop. I don't know if I'll be doing seals. It was outside for about 5 years before I got it and now I keep it inside.

I would think a gear box would run something close to 90w gear lube. Wheel bearing grease is not going to flow down to lube the gears, once its flung out to the casing, it won't return to the gears. Your brown goop could well be gear oil messed up by the water.. MPH

Geal oil sounds like it should work but I'm not too sure how I'm going to get that in there. The gear cover goes on the side and it doesn't have a fill hole. The only way I could get oil in it would be to hold the cover at a 45degree angle, fill it and slap it on real quick while holding the snow blower at a 45 degree angle too. That doesn't seem like it was designed to be filled that way so I'm questioning if it really does use oil or grease. Maybe I can put a ballon filled with oil in the gear box and then assemble it. The ballon will pop and I'll be good to go.

Oh, I see your trying to use my logic against me. I've got a manual that is really more of an operator's manual and it doesn't even mention the gearbox.

Guess I used the wrong word, You need a repair manual, as most owners manuals don't tell you much more then how to fill the gas tank. Having never seen what you have, I'm outta ideas.. MPH

Thanks for the tip on Bentonite. That got me looking and found a few options. I'll try one of these depending on what I find first. 1) EPO or OO grease. 2) 85w140 Gear oil. 3) Amsoil NLGI grade 00 synthetic lithium SPY grease. By the way, that chocolate brown goop was definately not chocolate.;)