Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

710 AC...a living legacy

Gary

My 710, is of the six speed variety. Purchased by my grandma, in May of 1977, it replaced a 5 year old Penncraft rider. Grandma always wanted me to mow her yard (2.5 acres), cause I would do it to suit her. My Uncle insisted that she buy one of the new orange tractors, I guess because his farm tractors were orange, too. I didn't much care what color it was, as long as I didn't spend more time fixing it, than I did mowing with it. Besides, Dad and I used green farm equipment. I always was amazed at how well that 710 could mow the grass. It was always even, and ohhh those stripes. Well, grandma passed on in 1983. She and I used to have some pretty good talks. I still miss her. My Uncle and my Mom, decided to let us grandkids have any item of hers that we wanted. I let the other 3 have first pick. When it was my turn, I told them that ALL I wanted was the Allis...nothing else. Since it was already 6 years old, nobody argued. I turned 50 this year...the Allis is 26...and were both doing fine. A year ago this past summer, I found a 42" deck housing, new, and aparently in somebodys way. Paid $75 for it! Well, it's not orange, but I think that the cream color looks pretty good with the orange mounting hardware and deck covers! Just this past summer, the same folks who had that 42" deck housing in their way, had a 36" snowblower in their way...$100 later, I was on my way home. In November, the nice people (Bob & Jo), at Pierce Sales & Equip., fixed me up with an electric lift kit. Boy does that make a difference! We had our first snow here in West Central Ohio, today. I got to put the Allis to work...and it did us proud. I'v been reading all of the posts here, and taking in all the good advice. You folks have been real helpful in getting me started on the right foot...along with grandma. Thanks:D:D Gary P.S. Anyone who thinks that green can mow as good as orange is probably color blind!!

quote:
P.S. Anyone who thinks that green can mow as good as orange is probably color blind!!
Very well said! Welcome to the club! I've got a 710 as well, not running right now:( But it sure looks nice!

Welcome to the club! I have a 716H with a 10 Hp engine. I guess that makes it a 710H. I also have a tractor built from parts that I have been calling a 712S. It has parts from about eight different tractors in it. Love those 7XX series tractors.

Welcome to the club! I grew up in Delaware county just north of Columbus. Have not lived in Ohio in years but I'm still a Buckeye. Had relatives in Plain City. Anywhere near you? Once again welcome.:) Dan