Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dratkinson

Recoil Starter Problem

dratkinson
The recoil starter on my 10 hp b&s (new this year) would not engage. I took the starter apart and found the 6 ball bearings were stuck to the outside of their travel. I knocked them loose (they were stuck) and they fell back to the outside of their tracks. Any idea how this happened? I'm certain snow got into the engine about two weeks ago? Did snow/water cause the ball bearings to stick and corrode in their tracks? How do I prevent this from happening again in the future? Spray with WD-40? /r David

Roy
Try Lock-Eze. The liquid carrier evaporates and leaves a dry graphite film for lubrication. An oily film will tend to collect dirt and dust which will possibly lead to sticking again. You might also look at a B & S Service Manual to see what they recommend.

HubbardRA
Just clean everything thoroughly, and oil with a light oil. Do not put heavy oil or grease in the recoil, since it will harden and freeze up the balls. This happens regularly on push mowers. I have fixed many of them.

dratkinson
Thanks. While I was waiting for your help, I decided to clean it up and spray it with Tri-Flow. It's a light oil what is supposed to coat everything with Teflon. Tri-Flow is a lot better, IMHO, than WD-40 for making things unstick and slide. Anyway, the starter is now a lot smoother than it was when I got it new. If this fix fails soon (within about 5 years), I'll try the Lockeze. /r David