Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Nubian

Starter problem?

Nubian
Well I saw it coming but procrastinated and then forgot. :( Anyway the starter in my 1920 Ultima was making this whining noise since summer,I must admit that I rarely use the choke unless it does not start, and when it did not start that's when the starter would whine.It keeps turning without catching even after I turn the key off. I guess it went bad. It was just rebuilt maybe a little over a year ago. Other than the starter going bad, could anything have contributed to this ?

Kent
You might try removing it and cleaning and lubricating (lightly) the shaft that the starter gear slides on. It the gear can't easily slide out to engage the teeth on the flywheel, it will just sit and spin... making the whining noise. Use a light coat of graphite or a thin, machine oil as a lubricant. Don't use a heavy oil or grease -- and don't use much of it. Last thing you want is the oily lubricant attacting dust and grime and sludging up again.

BLT
I have seen some Kohler starters that have had the slightest bit of rust on the shaft and it will make a motor noise but not engage. Kent has the right advice. I forgot, do you have a KT opposed engine or a V twin CH? If you have a CH engine and starter is a Dwyer type drive where the starter solenoid engages the the gear versus the Bendix type where the motor shaft spins the starter gear to engage?

BLT
Ed, according to the service manual I downloaded, you can have either the Bendix drive (shaft spins gear to engage)or the Dwyer (solenoid engages gear before motor starts) drive. My hunch is that you have a Bendix drive and that you have either some rust on the shaft or some stiff grease, both causes easy to remedy, if starter is easy to get at.