Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

When is a tractor an antique ?

Boney

Some people base classic or antique status solely on age. Others believe the item also has to have some unique features, design, or have been out of production for a time. Still others call their junk a classic or antique when they want to sell it.

How about someone close by the antique buffs drive thier tractor into the Antique Road Show and ask the 'pros'. See that on the tube every now and then and they seem to have a price for everything and a lota bull explaining themself.. MPH

The term "antique" is based solely on age. You can drive a car on antique tags if it is 25 years old in VA. The term "classic" is based on demand. Some cars are classics almost as soon as they roll out of the showroom, others are never classics. After all, how many people want 61 Ford four door station wagons even though they are more than 25 years old and classified as antique in VA. A Mustang Boss 302 is definitely a classic. 57 Chevys were classics almost as soon as they were made. We all know that the "B" series ACs are classics. Some of the later models are just not as "in demand" even though they are antique.

I'm a State Farm agent, and for auto insurance at State Farm, here are the rules (at least for Ohio): "A CLASSIC automobile is a motor vehicle which is ten or more years old and which because of limited production or exceptionally fine workmanship is a rarity or of historic interest and which has been restored, maintained, or preserved by classic automobile hobbyists. An ANTIQUE automobile is a motor vehicle which is 25 or more years old and which has been restored, maintained, or preserved by antique automobile hobbyists. Age of the vehicle shall be determined as of the first renewal on or after January 1st of each calendar year." I would imagine this would be a good guideline for tractors, too.

I asked John Deere "At what age does a garden tractor become an antique ?" and their response was "I have forwarded your question on to our John Deere Collectors Center. Antique rule of thumb is 100 years old - I don't know what a collectible rule of thumb is. Someone from the Collectors Center will be in contact with you soon."

I'm 44 now and my wife is calling me an antique. My tractors, on the other hand, ar all between 29 and 40. She calls them "all that junk in the barn". I am confused. Ken

In NYS, a car (or a yellow F-100, in my case) is insurable as an antique if it is 25 years old, or older. No idea what classic really means here, but I would like to thank hufhouse for supplying the facts, at least in one state. I know what the law in NYS is, as of a few years ago (above) as I have insured my truck as an antique here and until it was 25 years old, I couldn't do it. That definition (25 years) has been around, in NYS, since I was a kid in the seventies. I've never heard of any state saying a car had to be 50 years old to be considered an antique.

quote:
Originally posted by nighteye
I'm 44 now and my wife is calling me an antique. My tractors, on the other hand, ar all between 29 and 40. She calls them "all that junk in the barn". I am confused. Ken
Your tractors are 'antique', while you are a 'fossil'. Does this help? ;) Tacey

I'm 53. If they have to be older than me, then I'll never own an antique garden tractor! Shame that you need to ask a guy's age before selling him a tractor as an antique. Every time I think I know something, the rules change. Oh, Well!

I hope to own an older Simp. someday. Perhaps if I hang onto mine (Regent), it will be one. It could be considered a classic in that it is a 14 horse Gear drive with an Electric PTO.

When it looks or acts like Grandpaw, Its a antique. My 101 will be 39 next month and when i get done redoing her, it will look like grandmaw all dressed up.