Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

handle size?

dav
The snow blower for my Big Ten came without the handle to engage the pto. This is a single belt unit, not the dreaded three belt blower. I made a handle from 1/4 threaded rod but it has too much flex. What size should it be? When I tried the blower last week, the cement counterweight that I made at work had not set up enough to use. Without it, the rearend has no traction. This week the cement will be hard. Sure hope I can find where my coworkers might have moved it(I've been on the "vacation from Hell"). And as soon as I recover the creditcard from my wife, I'm going to order a set of chains. 20 pound weights and 4 gallons of antifreeze per wheel are not enough for the plow.

Dutch
Steel comes in different tensile strengths. Most all-thread found in home handyman stores is soft. The harder the steel, the smaller the thickness (diameter) can be used. In any event, 1/4" sounds pretty small especially if it's soft. Get an OEM rod, or try 3/8" or 1/2".

dav
Since I haven't had a chance to go get a thicker rod for the snowblower pto, I just plowed today...until the lift arm snapped off the hitch. So I went to work to weld it together. While there, I used the bobcat to load the cement counterweight I had made. I did it like in the DIY section of the club page. I found a cardboard box and welded some angle iron and chain and poured cement up to the level I wanted. I also put some pipe up on top so I can add weights from a home gym machine-the square weights, not barbell ones. Because the cement had not set up at quitting time, I just left the box while I went on vacation. When I opened the tailgate, the box rolled out. When I started peeling the cardboard off, I realized one of my coworkers had tried to help me. He topped off the box with more cement! I have doubts that the tractor can lift the weight at all!! Ah well...Two steps forward and one step back.