Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Safety Tip- hydraulics

SmilinSam

Never EVER lookk for a hydraulic leak using your hands. If you have a pinhole size leak high pressure hydraulics can perce the skin and inject the fluid right into your bloodstream causing real problems including loss of limbs and death. A man who goes to my folks church did just this recently and they said at the very least he is going to lose a finger maybe more. Hopefully it does not go on to more than that in the short time to come. Something to think about...

Have seen the safety precautions on equipment that advise of this danger. This is the first I have heard of it actually happening. I pray for the best for this person. Pat

High pressure cuts like a water jet! A friend of mine worked at the local Case-IH dealer and was checking injectors and some how he got his hand in the wrong place and shot a stream of diesel fuel through his hand between his thumb & index finger. He was in the hospital for a few days and had his hand all bandaged up. It looked terrible after they took the wrapping off. He was lucky he didn't die from the fuel in his blood stream. He still has scares from it from around 8 yrs ago. It pays to be careful!

The Air Force used to use "pressure guns" to give you the basic set of shots at basic training. The used a gun that looked something like a paint gun, but had a "click trigger" that released a metered amount... They'd put it against your shoulder, pull the trigger and give you 6 - 8 shots at once. If you moved or flinched, it would slice you like a knife...

Saw a couple of bleeding shoulders first-hand from flinching... they sent them off to the clinic with bandages over them. Then, they got to get the shots all over again, with syringes the next time...

How many guys did you see pass out before they got there shots? Syringe in one arm & gun in the other. The airguns did cut a few who moved at the wrong time!

I actually preferred the gun... In comparison, seeing the medtechs giving shots 3 at a time, with a fist full of syringes, one between each finger, was a much scarier sight... :D

I didn't flinch, but somehow I ended up with a "pocket" under the skin almost like it cut a bit of skin and pushed it under. Years later it worked to the surface and I have a little dent where it was.....

had to get in on this one. i am not sure how much hydraulic pressure the pumps on our tractor are capable of but on one of the larger cranes i woeked on, a mantiwoc 4100, about a 250 ton rig. one hose got a pin hole in it, easy enough remove the hose, and replace it, well still had a leak, the fluid under pressure from the pinhole had cut another hose a few inches away. if it can cut a four wire hose, your skin is nothing. i have heard horror stories about grease guns too, put your finger over the end and pump, supposed to prime them i guess. any idea how much delivery pressure a grease gun can produce in a bind. even a blow nozzle from an air hose at 125 pounds can really screw up your system. lifes dangerous enough, dont get taken out by something stupid, well not yet anyhow!!! badcars

Take a look at what they cut and form with nothing more than a CNC high pressure water jet on this site, it will make you think before getting near a high pressure fluid leak with any body part. [url]http://www.wacutting.com.au/water.html[/url]

Not sure anymore what kind of distance we got, but my brother and I used to see who could shoot the farest with 'hot' grease guns in that hot humid Nebra summertime. And thought we pumped it all into that AC '66' combine. MPH

quote:
Originally posted by Charlieson
Yea, they did the same thing in the navy when I went to boot camp. But I think the knife slicing thing was a hoax. ddh
Unfortunately this is not a hoax. I have a 1/2 inch scar on my arm. I flinched.

I remember those basic training shots. The whole flight, 50 guys could get their shots in about three minutes. Didn't see anyone get hurt with them but we had one guy who freaked out and wouldn't take his shot so about 5 medics held him down and gave him his shots in his butt. Next time he took them with the rest of the flight. Mike

This is true whenever you are talking about machinery with "hydraulic" (high) pressure. Airless paint guns, pressure washers, ect all act the same. I know a guy who almost died from an airless paint gun, ended up losing 2 fingers. Spent 2 weeks in hosp.