Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Hribar

Hydraulic Drive

Ronald Hribar
After the recent snow storms, there was discussion on converting to hydraulic motors. I like that concept. My thought was to replace the front PTO with a hydraulic pump tucked neatly behind frame. Do we have any hydraulic experts out there who can recoomend size of pump? And how much resvoir? Can the motor be matched to comletely replace PTO with same speed and power. That is can I have 3600 and 16HP so I would just put proper size pulley on motor and drive impliment?

Salthart
I have a fully self contained hydrostat unit ( pump and motor in one ) That would likely do what your wanting. Question is why ? You lose a good deal of horsepower to friction etc when you make such a change.. I am first to say I have not had any experience with a snow blower so is there some advantage to having reverse ? If your just wanting to get away from clutching with a belt, I'd opt for an electric clutch and run a tight belt full time. Or maybe there is something that I haven't thought of ? ? Northern Tool would have about any thing you'd need to build a drive like your speaking of. Just need to match your components in things like GPM and pressure. Don't forget a coupling such as a lovejoy etc and a hydro valve that locks in both on and off ( with off being a by-pass and yes, they do make them that don't and you'd bust a hose or worse ) Also , you'd want an in line filter. And, acording to the pump and motor you get and the load placed on it, You may or may not need an oil cooler.. Pretty nice chunk of change all added up...Oh, forgot the hoses etc...Unless you want to remove all the parts at the end of each winter, You'll want quick connect hoses and fittings. And even if you do, you will have to either remove the pump each year or make a loop.. ( this would eat HP and uselessly wear your pump ) as you can't run the pump dry w/o ruining it. I did quite a bit of hydro work in industry. We had presses that went from the small 25 ton to the biggest at 250 tons. Thats what I did 8-12 hours a day.. But I'm no expert. Maybe someone else will see things different than I do..

RonT
They make high speed hydraulic motors.I am guessing you will need a pump around 15gpm. You may also need a cooler or a large resivior. I think I would make the whole system removalable some how

MPH
Ronald, if you happen to be close to 'Case country' They run all thier attachments off hydro power. Have yet to see or here of a case up here. Think the ole scrouger's thing to do would be find an old case and addapt to fit our choice of toys. I'm quite hydro stupid myself.. MPH

Ronald Hribar
Salthart Any more information on self contained unit? I had not thought of reverse,but would work well on tiller and blower. I have thought about going to electric clutches. And i agree that it could be pricey. I do not understand friction loss. Would it be any different than runing Hydrstatic Drive? MPH I like your thinking, let someone else do the engineering, and just adapt their system to my needs. Will see what a Case could do for me. RonT I have seen high speed motors,but do not know if i sacrifice power for speed. I would make it permanent ,because I would use it for steering,lift,and Impliment drive. I also have been told previously that I could utilize my Vickers to drive system.

BLT
If you want HP effiency stay with mechanical drives. If you want a variable speed snow blower, go hydrostatic, but there will be a performance loss at the high speed end. I don't know of anyone who would want to run their blower less then full speed. The ones who have came here and asked why their chutes were plugging up.

Salthart
Maybe my choice of words leaves something to be desired. When i said friction loss, I was speaking of the loss you get any time you convert one form or power to another. Yes, some power is lost due to friction but there is also loss in the work done, and the heat made. If you get heat, you losing power. Maybe not a large enough amount that you'd notice but still a loss. And yes, there is power lost in a hydro tractor. If you could hook both a 3 speed and a hydro to a dyno, you would see that loss. The hydro will eat a few HP... And if you use both a hydro and a gear tractor, it is enough to notice at times.. But for me, the loss is more than made up in the useability.. The self contained hydro unit I was speaking of is off a cheaper mower ( mine is ) it has both the input and output shafts and even the oil res.. All in one neat package.. They are both less efficient ( pumps a large volume of oil and don't worry about pressure loss/loose tolerances ) And more trouble free. The cost is also down quite a bit from high quality units. But still higher than an electric clutch.. They are made in both straight through input-output and 90 degree etc.. Mine was built by Peerless I think but lots of companys make them I believe.. Foot Etc.... Good luck !

Ronald Hribar
Thanks for the replies to my question. I was hoping to get some response from those who had expressed their opinion earlier on replacing belt with hydraulic. They must have decided belts are the best way to go also. thanks Ron

Spencyg
If you had the input and output to a hydrostatic drive on the same unit, you would still have to use a belt to drive the blower. The only point of a hydraulic drive would be to lose the faulty belts that break and slip. I have discussed this proposal many times and will be converting all of my attachments to hydraulic power this spring. I have serious problems with belts...they break at the worst times and are expensive to keep a stock of. With hydraulic power there is nothing "disposable" or "wearable"...just a pair of hoses going from the tractor to the implement...it couldn't be simpler. Spence