Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

416 Hydro questions

Check to see if it backs up fast. If it does your speed adj. is messed up.Or there is lost motion[worn parts]in the for./rev. lever assy.not allowing full travel in each direction. 5 1/2" is the orig. pulley size on that unit.[for Vickers trans.]If anything it should be going well over the 8mph book speed ,if your running a 4.95" pulley on it now! You should be able to race the darn thing with that baby on it! dlc

thanks DLC, I've been doing quite a bit of reading on this board, your knowledge has been quite helpful. The 4.95" inch unit on the bevel drive should drop the speed a bit, but not that much. It does go slowly in reverse as well. the connection from the throttle to the hydro unit is a firm one, with no bushing arouind the bolt. maybe its not allowing enough travel. How much fluid does this hydro unit hold anyway?? Thanks again for your insights!!

I recently resurrected a 461 hydro lawn tractor from death. In doing so, I dropped the gear ratio on the pulley that drives the hydro pump from original to a 4.95" diameter (not sure what the original was- didnt get it). After doing that, I noticed that the hydro reservoir was empty, so I put in about 1 1/3 qts of dextron. the transmission works, forward-reverse & nuetral, but is slow. At full rpm the tractor is probably going about 3 mph. Is this fully attributable to the gear change, or can i check elsewhere?? The specs say this tractor should go 8 + mph, I would be happy with 5-6 MPH..Thanks for any advice..