Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck bearings.

dads707

Just cleaning the crud from under the covers on my 728 and thought about putting new bearings in while I had it apart. The Fafnir bearings are 7.50 each! Ouch. Is there anywhere to get then cheaper by ordering?They are not frozen or anything, though one has a slight rattle.

I don't recall what I payed for mine but I did find some a little cheaper than my local dealer at www.jackssmallengines.com I ended up buying at a local industrial supply house...I didn't find them a whole lot cheaper though...seems like about $6.75

NAPA sells two bearing for these decks, one for $7 and change, and one for $4 and change. I have used the $4 bearings a lot and find no difference. Both with NAPA name and packageing, one is from china and other is from over there some where all so. I like Jacks alot but the shipping and handling takes all the savings sometimes.

While we on deck bearings. Have any of u guys drilled out a hole and added a grease zerk to the spendles/arbors. Two of the mine had been setup with zerks. I just re-brearings my center arbor and added the zerk while I had it open, now they all match. Also I took out the grease seal on the inside of the bearings so it can get grease. Any pros and cons? I feel if you grease them regularly they will last longer.

All three of my decks have grease fittings on them. Some were added some were there when I got them. I think it is a good idea when you grease them it helps push out any water in the bearing.

Yet again I have a thought on something that many may or may not agree with. If the stock sealed bearings aren't lasting 5 or six years, Check the balance of your blades, the pulleys to make sure they are not loose or out of round ( no dents etc ) and make sure there are no "bumps" on your belt. I know it all sounds like little stuff, but manys the time I have replaced bearings for the above reasons.. Many "stress" cracked decks also.. Just my 2 cents worth...............

I have never purchased as an individual from this place but you might be able to get, either what you need or a good replacement. [url]http://bearingheadquarters.com/[/url]

6.50 is about the cheapest I have been able to get them. Those were rotary. The local industrial supply house wanted 7.50 for fafnir. We are talking less than $50 to make the baby hum. I redid a deck this summer and it whispers.

I have a deck that the bearings have not been touched since I have owned the tractor and I got the tractor from my dad and I dont belive he ever put bearings in it...I have'nt used the deck on it for about 4 years now but otherwise it was the only tractor I or he had for mowing 2+ acres since he bought it new in 1984...We just kept the blades balanced and sharp also kept it greased good...