Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Higher Blade Lift *** updated

Dutch

Wasn't happy with the height my blade would lift, so I made an extension. Now it lifts twice as high until the hitch arm is only about 1/4" from the hood. Everything is OEM. Didn't drill any extra holes, weld or bend anything. Extension can be easily removed. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/hi-lift-1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/hi-lift-2.jpg[/img]

Now that's a simple, innovative improvement... Does the hydraulic lift handle the different leverage without a noticeable problem?

I don't have a hydraulic lift on my 7117. Do you think my wimpy left arm could handle the lack of leverage? Really simple, good idea. With deep snow, it's hard not to drag it back on the driveway sometimes.

Nice job, dutch! Makes me want a hydraulic lift..
quote:
Originally posted by hufhouse
Do you think my wimpy left arm could handle the lack of leverage?
I just tried it on my manual lift. If you move the lift-arm attach point up about 6", you get a lot higher lift. How would you put another attachment point up there, though? I don't have a welder. Tacey

Good Idea Herb. Was it while you were pushing snow or dirt it wasnt high enough? Just curious. I have always thought a person could bank higher with a higher lift. Doug

My thoughts exactly Doug, I wished on my Sovereign, I could lift higher for making banks, but I got it so I just made "ramps". I now use the blade on my B-110, and with manual lift, you can either adjust the lever so you don't have to hang out of the cab to hold the blade down, or get more lift. Nice work Herb! Sharp looking tractor. Rob

Herb. Thanks for the great Idea. I have been wondering how I was going to get the snow "high enough" to get it out of one long stretch of driveway I will be clearing. By the way, the snow blade I got from you mounted right up. I was so pleased to see that you had included the hitch pins. I have no extra weight on the Big Ten. I put chains on and away I plowed!! No problem. I even went behind the county plow and cleared some driveways that he had effectively blocked. No problem. I then tried to make the cleared roadway a little wider. I had no problem at all pushing the already piled up snow. I was running with the blade at an angle and the snow rolled away. As you can tell I have enjoyed the new snow blade already.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Does the hydraulic lift handle the different leverage without a noticeable problem?
As you know, it's hard to tell how much extra effort is being exerted with hydraulics without a guage. But, the lifting speed was not noticeably slower and I didn't hear any hydro moans or whining.

quote:
Originally posted by hufhouse
I don't have a hydraulic lift on my 7117. Do you think my wimpy left arm could handle the lack of leverage?
You can always add a counter weight, or an assist spring (ala garage door), or a pneumatic cylinder.

quote:
Originally posted by DougM
Was it while you were pushing snow or dirt it wasnt high enough? Just curious. I have always thought a person could bank higher with a higher lift.
It was while I was cleaning up yard debris (pine cones, needles, etc.) for my neighbor. As I pushed up the pile, I started back dragging too much. Made the extension and that solved the problem.

quote:
Originally posted by DaleC
Herb. Thanks for the great Idea. I have been wondering how I was going to get the snow "high enough" to get it out of one long stretch of driveway I will be clearing. By the way, the snow blade I got from you mounted right up. I was so pleased to see that you had included the hitch pins. I have no extra weight on the Big Ten. I put chains on and away I plowed!! No problem. I even went behind the county plow and cleared some driveways that he had effectively blocked. No problem. I then tried to make the cleared roadway a little wider. I had no problem at all pushing the already piled up snow. I was running with the blade at an angle and the snow rolled away. As you can tell I have enjoyed the new snow blade already.
Before I use this for hard pushing (like snow), I'm going to make a solid lift link. Right now I'm using the spring loaded OEM link, but I don't trust myself to stop pushing before the blade pushes back on the spring and damages my hood. I could install another collar behind the clevis, but I don't trust the set screws either. A solid link seems to be in order. Glad the blade worked out for you. Just keep a coat of wax on it to keep that snow rolling off.

*** UPDATE ***
quote:
Originally posted by JOHNP
That looks like it would give my Johnny Bucket more lift also.
I kept adding weight to the top edge of the blade to find the lift limitation. up to 80 lbs. = No difference 90 - 110 lbs. = Lifted slower 120 lbs. = Unable to lift Conclusion = Lift extension won't work with a loaded Johnny Bucket without also using a counterweight or some other type assist.

Put a wheight or two in the rear lift sleave. If a counterwheight there helps with the handle then hydro should be helped too.

quote:
Originally posted by jkmustang1
Put a wheight or two in the rear lift sleave. If a counterwheight there helps with the handle then hydro should be helped too.
Just to clarify.... That works for the FDTs. But the RBTs used a rear lift cable, and you can't use a rear counterweight on them without some minor modification.

.... except the 3300 series. These first RBTs still used the old counterbalanced set up with a lift rod, along with the old center PTO.

• 3 weeks later...
Dutch I would be curious to know what weight your machine would lift without the extension. I like your idea alot, i would want to use it for my johnny bucket but as you said the lift performance would suffer, All the better reason to buy a johnny-weight box :) thanks for the tip. ps. i bid on that blade you got on ebay >>> thanks

I have a 716H with electric lift. With the standard lift set up it the plow hitch hits the frame now. Were there different length hitches?