Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
72ac410

big ten follow up

72ac410
got tractor going today.didn't have to take motor out.points needed adjusted.sprayed some gum cutter in carb and started it up.little dirt in the gas tank but once running it seemed to run better.took it out and tried it in the snow and it did okay with it not having the lo rear on it.parked it so my brother could have frun and as i was getting off i saw oil coming from the points,condenser.what causes this to happen.must i rebuild it.oh,still have to take motor out to get at mouse nest,next i'll burn it.

PatRarick
Could be one or a combination of several things. Bad seal on the points plunger, bad crankcase breather, a worn points plunger, or a worn points plunger bushing. I would check in this order. Pat

fireballv8
if you have some blow by, it will push oil out in funny places when It is cold..This doesn't seem logical to me since the cold oil should be thicker and therefore the clearance should have to be REAL loose to let it come out, but I had a Tecumseh 10hp that ran fine for years, but it would do that in extreme cold.