Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tight governor only when running?

johnerj

I just got my B10 running tonight after rebuilding the carb, installing new points and condensor, and cleaning the flywheel.I am amazed at how well this engine runs for about 40 years old, smooth and responsive. The problem is when the engine is running the governor is very tight to the point that the throttle lever will not move the throttle on the carb. The spring just streches. Feels s if I need a rod instead of a spring. When the engine is off it seams to move freely? any opinions on this? will I have to tear into the engine? I sure hate to do that,as well as this thing runs, just amazes me. Thanks John

Hi guys thanks for the replies. It did not work properly before I rebuilt the carb and thought maybe the carb or conection was the problem, but even when it is disconnected from the carb and running it is still very stiff to move. When the engine is not running it does move a bit better, and I do feel a small drag but not as bad as when it is running. Guess I need to pull the pan and take a look inside. Was hoping not to take the engine off again. I do have the manual for the motor 23D and did the adjustment as they stated and also as Al stated in his post, just don't know what to check or look for when I open it up. Thanks John

John, the bushing may be worn out or the shaft. It might not be a bad idea to replace the assembly with a new one. Check the cost on Jack's database.

The governor is stiff to move because it is working. It will feel loose when the engine is off. A Governor is to hold a steady rpm and it can only do so by holding a position when the motor is at a particular RPM. If you are having problems maintaining RPM under load, you probably have an adjustment problem, not a governor problem. As the RPM increases, the governor will push against the throttle to try to keep the RPM at a steady setting. As the tractor goes underload and the RPM starts to drop, the governor will pull against the throttle to pick the RPM back up. Check the springs and linkages. Go to the link listed above and I bet you will fix your problem (or at least let's hope so!!). JMO

Thanks Dale, Is it normal on these engines for the throttle on the carb not to move when the lever is moved towards fast? When the engine is running the throttle on the carb will not move off the idle position, but when the engine is not running the throttle on the carb will move with the lever to increase RPM. I have tried a stiffer spring but when the engine is running it is so tight it needs a rod to move it in place of the spring. Last night I ran the engine without the linkaged on the carb or governor (completely removed all the linkage)and the governor was very stiff, then shut the engine off and it moved freely. Ambler, thanks when I take her apart, I will be sure to check this out. THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP. I will keep tinkering with it, and maybe switch some parts off another engine and see what happens.