Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Truck (Uh Oh Tractor!) Went South.

LBS

Last week I put new a exhaust sytem on my '75 Ford F250 Tractor:I with 360 from the headers back, duel exhaust with glasspacks:D! I was drivin all around making everyone mad when it started missing terribly. So I thought I got the plugs to hot when I torched the old header bolts out[:0] so I replaced them. That did not help. So I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, wires, points, condensor, etc. Still no help so I clean the carb. Gets worse all the time so I finaly do a compression check, No 1 thru 8 cyl compression: 12, 45, 0, 2, 60, 10, 20, 0.B) I guess Ill pull the heads next week and see whats going on. At least it doesn't burn oil! BTW it's really a truck!

Larry, bfore tearing the heads off ahve you checked the timing? Could you have a bad timing chain gear that has thrown the cam out of time with the crank therefor causing the poor compression readings? Kinda unusual to have them all go out at once, bad head gasket will usually cause 2 cyl to be down, bad rings would usually show as burning oil which you say it doesn't or as excessive blow-by at the breathers or pcv valve. Just my 2c worth!

360/390 motor is a good motor but ford used fiber timing gear in the early to mid 70s to reduce chain noise. My guess is with it's age and miles it's time to replace it if nothing more than to take care of chain slop and ware. Get a wix oil filter for a 361/391 industral motor it will add a quart of oil capacity it's twice as long as a motorcraft fl1a A buddy of mine had a 76 high boy 4x4 used that filter because he ran his truck hard alot. At one time he had 33" tires and they cleared because of the factory lift of the high boy.

My thoughts exactly...cam timing. I know GM V-8's used a timing chain...not sure about Ford V-8's, b/c I believe the Ford 300 I-6 uses timing gears. Either way, it sure sounds like valve timing would be the most likely culprit. Sucks you had to go through all that tune up but, here, when you get it fixed, it'll be all tuned up! Good luck...let us know.

I would look at the timing chain as the others have suggested. I used to run a lot of 302 and 390 engines and ran in to the top timing gear loosing its teeth and then the cam getting out of time. If you find that I would suggest that you drop the oil pan and wash it out well. I have seen two 302 engines suck up the fine pieces of the material from the cam gear into the oil pump. That locks up the pump and then the shaft driving the oil pump twists till it breaks. The engine still runs but the oil pump isn't.:(:(:(

Neat site JCS! Larry, hope it's only the timing Gears for your sake! Good luck, keep us updated, nothing like have a newly revamped toy go down. I bet that baby really talks!

quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry
...there is always someone there to answer questions if you have a need.
Imagine how many F Series owners are out there. Ford has sold around 1 million F Series trucks per year for over 20 years! Tacey

Thanks Everyone! I'll take a look at the timing chain soon. And in the meantime I'll hope thats what it is. I'll keep Ya'll posted.