Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Governor adjustment??

mowerman1193

I picked up a Broadmoor 717 (8hp Briggs vertical shaft motor) awhile back and am just now getting a chance to mess with it...I got it running but there is way to much tension on the throddle shaft making it run faster than it should... Is there any kind of adjustments on these?I have never really messed with the governor before so any advice would be helpful..I am thinking that maybe it has the wrong spring on it or something...I was thinking that the only adjustments are just to replace the spring...am I correct? Thanks,

I have kept this reply from Al Eden to a earlier post for awhile now and have refered back on it a few times. I have found this to be very helpful. Thanks again Al for the great help! Posted in an earlier post by AL: Hi, The way they teach it at the Briggs school, Forget about clockwise or counter clockwise. [Assuming the correct carb] Just take the governor arm and move it in the direction that opens the carb wide open. Holding the arm so the carb is wide open, loosen the bolt on the arm and turn the governor shaft in the same direction the arm rotated when opening the carb. When the shaft hits the stop, tighten the bolt while the carb is wide open. Same with Kohler. Much simpler than trying to remember cw or ccw. Remember the governor weights must be held in when the carb is wide open and then they work against the spring to control the speed. Also if the engine is hunting, to determine if it is the carb or the governor, turn in the idle stop screw and hold the carb shaft against the idle stop. If the engine idles OK, then run the stop screw in more and hold it against the stop. If it runs good at mid speed with the throttle shaft fixed it is a governor problem. If the engine is erratic with the throttle shaft fixed, it is a carb problem. Personally I just hold the shaft by hand, but in school they teach using the screw for a stop. Good luck, Al Eden

I just had a post about a governor problem no one answered on. My problem is when the engine is running the governor is too tight to move? That is, the throttle cable-lever can not pull the throttle on the carb up off the idler adjustment screw, but when the engine is not running no problem everything moves free. Did the adjustment and still have the same symptoms. Kind of wish mine was the opposite, so I could just change the spring. John

Thanks Kris & Al, I will give this a try to see what happens... John,I wish I could answer your question but I am new to this type of work on these..Hope someone will give you a answer

• 8 years later...
In order to make sure the carb and the governor are working together, you need to make sure that the carb butterfly AND the governor shaft are properly positioned before you tighten the governor arm clamp..... Loosen the clamp screw on the governor arm, then open the carb all the way.....Make sure the governor shaft is rotated in the governor arm the same direction as far as it will go w/o putting a lot of pressure on it.....Then tighten the clamp screw, this synchronizes the carb to the internal governor mechanism....

I just had one come in that had no control, ie stuck wide open. The governor could not pull the throttle back down. On the steel rod that goes from the throttle to the governor arm, one of the 90 degree bends was only about 45 degrees, causing it to bind. A slight tweek with needle nose pliers took care of it. :D