Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bought some chains today

badcars

bought some chains for the broadmoor today. they were 40 bucks looked like they were made of swingset chain, and hell they even had plastic. yes i said plastic parts in the retainers. i asked the sales dude about durability, he asked about my machine and smirked and said these are all you really need, well we were moving some dirt with the balde today and the yard was a muddy mess. made about a good three ft push and heard that sound, you know the loud pop chains make when they break. i had to laugh. i was still laughing when i took them and the 50 pounds of mud back to the store for a return only about an hour later. i then bought 50ft of real chain and 4 turn bubkles and came on home. if i have a chance ill try to borrow a camera and post these. man talk about an evil looking set of chains. you can drop the blade, it picks up the front end about 2 inches and then she goes to grunting. this was actually a cool little project, my three and a half year old son helped out. really cool he puts on a welding helmet, my old one, and my carharet jacket and watched me tack all the chain links back together i had to cut for assembly. another plus it added baout 15 pounds per tire, getting better all the time. badcars

It's probably better to make your own anyway. Got to have the neighbor add 4 links to mine, they are a little to short. Before you know it, your son will be welding. another neighbors son was operating a backhoe at 5. (with help and supervision of course)

Check out eBay for a set of chains. I bought a decent set for my 2010 for $25.00, brand new. Not the best but decent and the price was right.

Well Miller Tire has more of them listed now and they are not as cheap as the set you showed me Bunky...I wonder about the quallity of the ones they sold for $29 as they was 2 link spacing and now they have 4 like listed for something like $40..I have never bought chain before but I bet one could make a set very cheap..I might have to look into it myself as I need a few sets...

this set cost about 45 to build, plus about three hours of cutting and welding. but they are way overbuilt. this is probably the last set ill ever need for a 18x9.5. like i said the store bought ones got in a bind and broke almost instantly. thats just me, i am pretty rough on stuff though. badcars

24 pounds each!! what you use log chain? LOL Well you got a good deal there because you got wheel weights and chains in one...My wheel weights on my Broadmoor are only 20 pounds each...

yes it is heavy, and yes i like heavy stuff. harder to break. 14 tracks across and two surrounds and the two turnbuckles per whell. bu they, they dont slip a bit!! badcars

I got the swingset style chain in a factory pkg. {blower, wts., & chains } for my Prestige. Not Impressed by them but they work OK, so far.

The best chains I have ever owned for garden tractors are ones I made from automotive sets. I just made a set from chains that my brother bought over 20 years ago. You are not allowed to run chains in Ky anymore. I have a nice set now with two link spacing. The only thing I don't like is I can't get them as tight as I want to. I may have to go to the Ace tomorrow and see about getting some turn buckles to help to tighten the side chains. Post a picture of the one you made. My only concern would be with getting the cross links to lay flat against the tire. All the chains that I have used have the special twist that allows the links to lay flat. Sounds neat though to make your own. A good Lincoln or mig are in my future!