Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blade owner's

Captain Ron

Hi I was wondering about tractors with blade on them how much power do you have when pushing snow? I was thinking of getting one for my new Prestige 23 hp but don't know if you can push a enough snow to make it worth while! The dealers are not much help most have not used a tractor with a blade, or sell very many of them. I already have a snow blower but thought the blade would be nice for the lighter snow falls. Thanks Ron

Welcome Cap. I'm in Saint Paul. I never use my blade. Always use my snowblower attachment. Think of spending the $ instead on a canvas cab. ENJOY

with weights and chains, a plow will push a full blade. It might not be worth it if you only have one tractor and have to switch attachments all the time, but I use a plow all the time. Theres quite a few guys on here use a plow for light stuff and a blower for the big storms. Most have more than one tractor though.

I used my Big Ten with a very used original 10 hp and pushed heavy wet stuff over the weekend. I had chains with no weight. The tractor and blade with me on it weigh in at about 900 lbs I am guessing. If you will use a blade if you had it I would get one. JMO

I live in Ohio and I've got a 17hp Simplicity. I use a blade. Last weekend, I pushed around 4-6" of heavy wet stuff with absolutely no problem at all. The tractor doesn't even slow down for it. I can even push the piles at the end of the drive back a few feet if I need to if I get a short running start. (If I'm stopped right up against them and push against them, I can't get enough inertia to move a big wet pile. I just spin my tires.) I don't think we get enough snow in my area to justify a snowblower. I have to admit that it looks like a lot of fun, though!

Terry I know it's different up there than it is in Kentucky as far as snow goes. All I've ever used is a blade and cleared our drives and part of the county road with one on my 17GTH-L. I've pushed snow over the blade, then backed up and cleared the overflow. A lot of the members only have 8 or 9hp tractors and they have plenty of power for snowplowing. If you have a lot of 6-8" snows, get a blade to complement your blower. If most of your snows are deeper save up for a "warm, cozy cab". You'll love yourself for it. Larry an afterthought If you have a gravel drive, major landscape projects or a hobby farm, get a blade. They aren't just for snow anymore! LWB

This is a 7112H with 46" dozer blade and chains. We had a foot of snow and this girl can push all day. When it gets deep I take a running hit sometimes with a half a blade and move it out of there. Total weight >1300 lbs. Be interesting to see if the new machines can out work the old single cylinders. I plow at between 1/2 to 3/4 throttle because I dig holes to much at full throttle.

Welcome Captain. If I were you, I'd sell that new Prestige and get 1 B Series AC with snowthrower attachment, 1 Landlord 101 with a snow blade, and a Simplicity 7000 series with the Sweepster attachment. Never have to fiddle with changing over attachments. I own both a thrower and blade, but only 1 tractor for winter use. (I'm working on getting one tractor per attachment.:D) Our normal snow, heavy wet stuff, is best pushed, so I blade it. I'm glad I have it. Tacey

Tacey, There's a 3416H in my garage with a 42" blower and chains on it, but with these dinky snows its hardly worth breaking out. I use the blower to clear walking paths to the barn and woods.

I have 3 tractors I move snow with. 1. 616 Yoeman with a 7 horse motor and 36 inch wide blade and tire chains on rear turf tires. Yoeman does a good job.:) 2. 16 horse gearbox Landlord with turf tires and chains. I have 44 inch snowthrower and 42 inch blade. Landlord does a good job using either attachment. Landlord and Yoeman do not have any extra weight added to them. I have no problem moving snow. (spinning tires) My Daughter and Son use to have problems. They learned that there is a fine line between speed/power and putting it to the ground. Both said it improved their winter driving skills. 3. My 3rd tractor is a IH Cub Cadet 149.(14 horse/hydro trans) It has a 42 inch blade. The rear tires are 10.50 wide ag tires filled with calcium and have tubes in them. For me there is no personal choice between blade/snowthrower or which tractor to use. Biggest drawback I have against a snowthrower is wind blows snow back into my face. Snowthrower will get job done faster. When I push snow I run motor at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. All are used to clean neighborhood and a church parking lot.

I've got an AC B210 (10 hp with the vari-drive) with a 42" fixed dozer blade. Rear tires are fitted with 2-link chains. I don't use any other weight and don't have any fluid in the tires. Here in SE Michigan, we usually don't get big snows, but I've used the tractor/blade exclusively. If the snow is real deep or drifted, I might use the 5 hp Simplicity walk behind snow thrower to cut a few passes to kind of "thin out" the snow and then I'll attack it with the blade. The tractor is faster and a whole lot more fun. I'll usually push the snow to the end of the driveway and then I'll set the blade square with the tractor and push a full blade and then some across the street. By the time I get it pushed to the end of the driveway, the snow has been packed, and when I go to push it across the street, it can be like pushing a block of snow. Usually, I'll have to take a run at the snow pile to break it loose, but then the B210 just pushes it across the street. I've only got 10 hp and I've never run out of power. If the weight of the snow is too much, I'll just spin the tires. The only problem I have using the blade is that as I start on the right side of the driveway with the blade angled to the left, with each pass I keep pushing the snow to the left, but if the snow is too deep, the berm can get deep enough that it starts to spill over the top of the blade or the blade just can't roll it off to the left anymore. I always run the tractor at WOT. In fact, I start the tractor with the throttle WOT and shut it down WOT. This is how the engine has been run since about 1971. I've alway had trouble with the throttle cable so I simply pulled it out and locked it down tight. I'll usually blade the snow in 3 rd gear, starting out in low to minimize wheel spin and then quickly move the vari-drive into high to push the snow. Get the blade, you will have fun.

My Allis 712H,with a tired 12HP Kohler will push all the snow you want.Only weight is the driver,and I'm using 4 link chains. Blades work great on the wet,slushy snow,where a snowblower cuts through the lighter stuff easily.

Hi, 20 hp Legacy and a 60' blade. I have no problems pushing a full blade worth. 1000+ lbs for the tractor and another 300 for me, I don't need chains. Happy pushing! Ron

I have a 16hp Broadmoor with a 42" plow on it. I have pushed over 1' of snow easily with chains and weights. I think its more a question of weight and traction than horsepower. Have fun!

i've used both, I think that the plow is quicker than the blower, i have a Wonder-boy with a 6hp motor, 42 " plow, and chains. I've found out that on the first pass I raise the blade a little in really wet show, push, back up and make a second pass I have not had any problems. Also to move piles of show farther back the same procedure works well. Go with the plow. Its more fun! The fluffy stuff is not problem at all.

I have a 61 Wards with a 14 Hp Kohler on it, and an AC716H that only has a 10 Hp on it at the moment. I've used both with the blade. Use the wards with snow and the AC when moving/grading dirt. Engines never even labor. Too much in the blade and the tractor will dig a hole with the rear wheels. Lift the blade and knock the top off the pile, then start pushing again. Currently working on a snowblower. Hope to try it later this winter.

I live about 60 miles North West of Fargo ND in Minnesota. I have a 10hp walk behind snow blower and an AC712S (repowered to 16hp) that I got a year ago last September so this is the second winter with it. So far I have not used the blower since getting the AC with blade. Have both rear wheel weights and chains and can't seem to get enough snow to stop it with out just running it into a big man made pile of the white stuff. I clear a gravel parking area that is about 100' by 75' and a 5th of a mile gravel driveway. Also clear my neighbors 5th of mile drive and small parking area in front of his house. Go for the blade. Dan

I agree with the idea of a tractor for each device. If it ever snows enough, this winter I will get to try my 60's Broadmoor with a blower, a 728 repowered with a blade. I haven't gotten the sweeper as mentioned above but I think that would just move the rocks I have anyway.

Has anyone had any experience with using a blade on a 725? I have the highly sought after 3 belt blower { LOL sarcasim } and have been thinking about getting a blade for it to move the wet stuff that a blower cant. About how much time does it take to switch from a blower to a blade on the same tractor ? Can you tilt a snow blade left or right while sitting on the tractor ? thnx for any help :)

The plows you can have off in about two min. The blower takes alittle longer to install, between five and ten min. There are 3 types of snowpolw/dozer blades available 42" manual angle. 42"HD remote angle spring trip. 46"HD remote angle spring trip.

23 HP ON A Prestiage is more than enough to plow snow or blow snow with a set of chains.Plowed 5 inches last week with my Agco 918 with now problem.I like a blade as stated because i can use it all yr around where a snow blower is only good, when we get enough snow to use it.Buy a blade and enjoy it.

738 Broadmoor/weights/chains/blade, handle anything in S.E. Michigan. Never had any problems pushing. I did just get a snowthrower for it...can't wait to play with it!